Chapter 7- A different kind of love

A week had passed, and I was no longer locked in my tower. Dad decided it was best to let me roam, so my temptations weren't messed with. It didn't make a difference, If I wanted blood Kaleb was always there to let me feed. Usually, it was twice a week. Sometimes, I needed blood three times a week. It depended on how much I drank to begin with. I had come to terms with that, when I didn't want to feed, I needed to. Kaleb knew that as well.

"Vanneka," Dad said entering the kitchen. I was stealing Grams' sugar cookies.

"Stealing the cookies again," He laughed, "She knows it's you."

"How," I asked. That was a good question.

"You're the only one who eats them, as soon as they come out of the oven," He said. That was true. Everything else waits until the sit, I don't.

"Oh, yeah that too," I said. I stuffed a cookie into my mouth.

"So, I was wondering, What do you think about helping me find a tree, for Christmas, if you say no, there's always baking the cookies, or putting up the lights," He said. WOW.

"As fun as tree finding sounds, I think I'll stick to interior designs, I'll fix the whole house with new decorations Mom bought," I said, he smiled and nodded his head at me.

"You are good at decorating, four years of art, pays off," He said grabbing a cookie. He turned to walk away.

"So, I'm going to the market, to get some ingredients," Grams entered, "Someone keeps eating my sugar cookies."

"Sorry, but you know since the night I turned into a man-eating zombie, I've been craving these things," I told her, that was the weird part.

"Hmm, well, as long as I don't have to pitch them after our annual Christmas dinner, I don't care how many of them you eat," She said, telling me she'd be back. And she left.

I ate at least five cookies, standing in the kitchen by myself. Of course, I was the only one who loved them. Everyone else would eat one, and their finished, I had to finish them off. I loved those and Grams' Pecan pie. Of course, she would make that too. I thought about it for a while and realized that I was supposed to be decorating. Grams and Mom had already set them out, just needed someone to decorate. Vampires can do just about anything. Except fly.

Getting the decorations out, I made my way to the stereo. Christmas classics, Gram's favorite record. The first song I heard was one of Dad's favorites 'Let It Snow.' I loved that song but it wasn't my favorite. I loved hearing, 'Silent Night.' When I was a child my dad used to play the guitar, for all the kids, at Christmas. Before we were turned. Of course, I was the only one who enjoyed listening to it. I was so grateful for the family we had. Grams always listened to 'Yuletide Carols.' And Karla loves that one.

I wrapped the red and green Garland around the stair rails, and let silver bells hang from each gap. I hung mistletoe right above the kitchen door. More people go into the kitchen than any other room. Of course, I had to put our lights around the stairs after finishing. The clear lights were beautiful. Over ten minutes in, I heard my song play. And I knew it wasn't the next track. I looked around to see Kaleb holding two coffee mugs. One was red with 'Merry Christmas' Written on it the other was green with 'The First Noel' and that was the one he handed me.

"Mint hot chocolate, for your soul," He said laughing. He was being really sweet to me.

"Thanks, Kaleb, this is great," I said taking a drink. It was really good. Had a chocolate mint flavor. It was wonderful. I liked it.