Chapter 16- Jackson and Johnson's choice

Three days had come and gone, but no one knew where Jackson and Johnson were. After finding out I was the weapon, they disappeared. Malakai and I didn't share a room, but instead, we decided to take things slow. And I was oddly okay with that. Though every once in a while, he did kiss me in front of everyone, which was very rare. I loved him, and I always had, and now we could be together. Malakai had tried to block my mind from him, making me think I was in love with every man I saw or touched. He did it because of two reasons: one, He was protecting himself from the pain of having to tell me he couldn't be with me, and two he was protecting me from the pain of knowing I was in love with him and couldn't be with him.

Grams had been distant too, in her room, trying to figure out why Jackson and Johnson had been gone so long, and where they were. Grams was very focused in her old age. Being a witch had its perks, one being concentration. And as for the old thing, she was sixty-seven in her human years but she's been around longer than that(a hundred years to be exact). The oldest which there was, happened to be her best friend, but she got killed trying to protect the sword from the Nigira demon.

"Vanneka, we are all heading outside for training, are you coming with us," Vannessa asked. I just shrugged it off. She waited a few minutes until she realized that I wasn't going with her, and then she turned and walked out. She looked as though she hadn't been thirteen. Or maybe it was because she aged well. By looking at her you would think she was fifteen or sixteen years old. But she was only thirteen. And she loved Nick with everything in her.

"Concentrating hard are we," I heard from behind me. I turned to see Luke standing at the door. I hadn't realized I had been staring out the window for so long. I sighed and looked back towards the window, where every one of our troops was gathered outside for training, except for one, Malakai.

"Luke, what does it mean, I feel empty, there's a hole inside where my heart should be, and I just want to run," I said. It was true I felt a little, outside of myself.

"Vanneka, I think the problem doesn't lie within you, but outside of you, smile, enjoy yourself, train with the others, and make the most of what you have, I know Cadence is gone, but try to remember, she will be back," He said. I knew there was a reason for my sadness. Cadence was gone to search for the sword. I missed her so much.

"Luke, how did you become the wise one around here," I asked, he chuckled and sat beside me on the window seal. I didn't even hear Malakai walk up to the door, but I knew someone would come looking for me, and he was listening and watching, without any of us noticing.

"Van, when you die, and come back, wisdom pours through you, like, you've seen too much to not know when something is right or wrong," He said. I watched him as he sighed in disgust.

"I saw some things I wish I could un-see, but it's impossible, and I know this is selfish, but sometimes I wish I had never thrown myself in front of Karla," He said with tears in his eyes. Malakai hadn't moved, and still, neither of us noticed him standing at the door.

"I love her, but she could have handled herself, she's hard-headed and strong, and so much like you," He stopped, "I guess that's why I love her because she's like you, and though I could never love you as I've loved her, I still care about your well being, and this isn't healthy for someone of your reign Van."

"I hope I'm not interrupting, but I need to speak with Vanneka If you don't mind," Malakai said coming into the room. I nodded at Luke. He smiled and gave me a friendly hug, then walked away.

Something in my heart told me that Luke was right about my well-being, but I couldn't help but feel that something was off, like Cadence and Alejandro were putting themselves at risk for nothing. That was the worst feeling in the world.

"Vanneka, I heard everything, and I want you to know, that Cadence and Alejandro can take care of themselves, they are strong, smart, and together," He said as he sat beside me. I grinned, knowing he was right. He took my hand.

"He's right, Karla is so much like you, but you are the main reason, I live and breathe, so she can't be too much like you," He smiled genuinely at me. I wrapped my arms around him and threw myself into his arms.

"Thank you for being here, and for loving me, and for just being the best friend I've ever had," I said. He backed up but didn't release me. He looked me up and down.

"And thank you, for loving me and being my best friend, and for being loyal to your family and friends," He said kissing me softly but quickly.

When we finally got outside with the others, the temperature was increasing. It was now fifty-five degrees and the snow was melting. And it wasn't so chilly anymore. I loved this weather. Malakai noticed my cheerful mood and squeezed my hand lightly. Dad was preparing the troops. Dean looked bored to be here, Nick and Vannessa were talking about the fight. Lilly and Orlando were getting into a fighting position. The rest were already training, with more than power. They had swords and spears. It was as if I'd joined the renegade combat.

Grams had finally come out of her room. And she didn't look too happy about whatever she had discovered. But she didn't look surprised either. This could be our ticket. We could finally get answers. Malakai knew what she had found and put his head down. I was worried now. This wasn't good, at all.

"Grams' what happened," Vannessa beat me to the punch. She sighed.

"The twins, turned themselves in," She paused, "TO Josh.,"