Chapter 29

Wattpad changed the damn mobile app so the publish button is in place of the save draft button. 😩 sorry to everyone who mistakenly read the unfinished draft. This chapter is finished now. Please enjoy!

"What did you want to speak with me regarding?" My mother dabbed her lips with her napkin as she sat across from me at the restaurant we were having dinner at. It was finally time for me to come clean and tell my mother. I wasn't as nervous as I was with Carson, somehow I felt that I didn't truly care about her opinion I just hoped that she would want to be a part of my baby's life. Especially since she hadn't wanted to be a part of mine.

I fiddled with my fork, twisting it around the angel hair on my plate. "I have..."

"Darling don't play with your food, you're an elegant woman not a child."

"I'm going to have a child." My announcement came off as a challenge, my eyes glaring into my mother's as the words came off. She kept her composure, raising an eyebrow.

"Please, do go on." Her face remained in its usual cold demeanor.

"I'm pregnant, mother." I felt like rolling my eyes but I knew this wasn't the time.

No emotion passed through the woman's face as she took in my words. After a moment of silence, a small smile I did not think she was capable of, especially after all of the Botox, appeared on her face. "With the Knightly heir, I presume?"

The second the spoke the word heir, I knew immediately what crossed her mind. I was pregnant with the child of her business partner's son and she saw it as a business opportunity. I scowled. "Yes, mother."

"It could be worse, I suppose."

"What does that mean?" This conversation was soon going to take a turn for the worse, I could immediately tell.

"Joining our two families together, it's a wonderful idea. Great for business too."

"I tell you I'm pregnant, and all you can think is that it's a great business opportunity? You don't care that I'm carrying your grandchild?!" I was starting to get worked up, but I was still trying to keep from raising my voice too much in public.

Mother pursed her lips together, obvious distaste for my attitude. "There is no need to-"

"I'm sorry, I can't deal with you right now." I stood abruptly, grabbing my YSL crossbody and stormed out of the restaurant. I quickly pulled out my phone and dialed Carson's number.

"Aussie." His husky voice spoke through the line.

"are you busy? Can I come over?"

"What's wrong? Are you crying?" It was that moment when o realized that there were tears streaming down my face and I silently cursed myself for not being able to handle my emotions.

"I'm just stress, crying. That's all." I seemed to do that a lot. "I just told my mother and she saw it as a business opportunity."

"Sounds like your mother."

I let out a forced laugh. "Yeah, it does. I don't know what I was expecting. Are you busy, right now?"

"Yeah, I'm at the hotel. Come by though, I want to show you the progress." I could practically feel him smiling through the phone as he spoke about his hotel proudly.

I nodded before I realized he couldn't see me. "Okay, I'm on my way."

*****

I almost hadn't recognized the hotel when the taxi had pulled up, it had been restored and looked less like an haunted high rise. I stepped through the front doors, the lobby complete and the sound of my heels clicking across the white marble floors. The hotel was barely recognizable from what it had been only weeks ago. I approached a woman in a skirt suit, holding a clip board.

"Sorry ma'am this is still a private construction site." She spoke in a stern voice, barely glancing up at me. Her brown hair was pulled up into a tight bun and her thick rimmed glasses perched on her nose.

"I'm actually here to see Mr Knightly." It felt weird calling him that, but I knew that he would have preferred it. She looked up at me finally at that moment, a frown on her lips. I immediately knew I wouldn't like her.

"May I ask who is here to see him?" She raised a brow accusingly.

"Lucy Graves, his girlfriend." I emphasized the last part. Of course the moment she heard that, her entire demeanor changed, a forced smile appearing on her face as soon as she realized I wasn't just someone she could shoo away.

"Of course, Miss Graves. Just one moment." She pulled up the headset to the walkie she had and spoke into it. "Mr Knightly, I have a Lucy Graves here to see you."

After a few moments I could barely make out someone speaking into her ear. She then looked up at me. "He will be right down."

"Thank you...."

"Veronica, the new general manager of The Knightly." She introduced herself.

"Thank you, Veronica." I nodded. The elevator door dinged and out walked Carson. He was wearing an all black Armani suit with a light blue tie that matched and complimented his eyes. If I was an emoji at that moment I would have been the heart eye one. He smiled as he approached me, authority cascading off of him.

"Hi baby." He greeted, his hand settling on my lower back as he pressed a kiss to the corner of my mouth. I could see Veronica frowning at our interaction, but quickly plastering on a smile as he turned to her.

"Mr Knightly, the final inspection has been completed and we are right on track for our grand opening next week." She spoke, a look in her eye I recognized as she looked at him. She had a crush on Carson. I'm not going anywhere. I thought to myself.

"Thanks, Veronica. I'm going to show Lucy around, please call me if needed." She nodded, as he began to guide me towards the elevator. Once we stepped inside the elevator he pressed the top button, with a P, while sliding his card into the slot that granted him access. I felt the elevator began to move and he turned to me, quickly capturing my lips into an addicting, gentle kiss. "Hi."

"Hey." I smiled, kissing him once more, his hand going to the back of my neck and holding me in place to receive his kisses. The lift stopped on the top floor, and asked for his entry card once more before it allowed us access. The door opened to reveal the penthouse suite. The floors were a dark wood, almost black, and the classic floor to ceiling window took up the majority of the outer walls. A large stone fireplace with glass surrounding the actual hearth was in the center of the main room, with cream colored couches surrounding it. The penthouse had been decorated for the perfect combination of masculine and feminine. I loved it immediately, it was exactly what I had been looking for in an apartment.

"Wow, how do I rent it?" I joked around, smiling at Carson.

"You don't have to. Welcome home." He placed a tiny kiss on my cheek, placing the entry card in my hand. I turned to him in shock.

"What? What do you mean?" I tilted my head to the side in confusion, my hair cascading over my shoulder.

"Move in here with me." He smiled, his dimples making themselves present. "If you say no that's going to suck, because I had my interior designer specifically decorate this place with you in mind."

"Carson, I.. I don't know what to say." I was speechless.

"Just say yes." He wrapped an arm around my shoulder, pulling me into him while the other was tucked into his pants pocket. "There's plenty of room for the three of us."