Chapter 20

Once Jason got onto the elevator, he pushed the button that would take him to Ozpin's office. The doors then closed and he felt the elevator moving up.
Jason then leaned against the wall, crossed his arms and tried to relax.
He honestly didn't know what he was going to ask Ozpin. He didn't know if Reaper the was lying or not. He didn't know what was going on. But he was going to question Ozpin and Glenda anyway.
A bell then rang and the elevator doors opened. Jason looked into Ozpin's office and saw him and Glenda talking to Cardin.
"... And that's why you can't leave exploding pies outside anyone's doors anymore." Ozpin said, acting like he just finished a long conversation.
Jason then limped into the office, his foot now in more pain because of Weiss, and stood next to Cardin.
"Hey Ozpin, can I talk to you?" Jason asked, catching Ozpin off guard. Ozpin then looked at him and smiled.
"Jason. Are you alright?" Ozpin asked, with concern in his voice. "Yeah, I'm fine." Jason replied. "But I would like to talk to you... Now." Jason said.
"I'm sorry Jason, but I need to finish telling mister Winchester why he can't keep pranking other students the way he's doing now." Ozpin said, making Jason look at Cardin.
"Wait you're turn buddy." Cardin said rudely. Jason wasn't in the mood to deal with this. So he grabbed Cardin by the collar and dragged him to the elevator. "Jason! What are you doing?!" Glenda shouted. Though Jason didn't stop. "Let me go you fur ball!" Cardin shouted. Jason ignored them and threw Cardin onto the elevator.
Cardin landed on the floor and then looked at Jason.
"See ya." Jason said before pushing a button on the elevator. The doors then closed and moved downward. He then turned and walked back to Ozpin's desk. "What do you think you're doing?!" Glenda shouted in frustration.
"Now, now, Glenda..." Ozpin said, calming Glenda down. "I'm sure Cardin wasn't going to listen anyway. Now then..." Ozpin then looked at Jason, who was on the other side of his desk.
"Are you alright? What happened to you?" Ozpin asked. Still concerned about Jason. "Oh I'm fine. Just hit my head, and got scratched." Jason replied. "And you're foot?" Ozpin asked, pointing at his foot.
Jason thought of an excuse for his foot. He thought it was embarrassing that his toe was most likely broken because Weiss stomped on it.
"I... Kicked a rock..." Ozpin then gave him a look of confusion. "A really big rock." Jason finished. He wasn't sure if Ozpin believed his story, but they changed the subject.
"Well, what happened at the docks?" Ozpin asked. Jason then told him.
"Oh, not much, I fought the white fang, and ran into the same guy from the Crimson forest." This got Ozpin's attention. "Really? What did he do?" Ozpin asked. "Well, he killed a faunas and acted like it was nothing." Jason said quietly. "I see... Don't worry Jason. Well find him." Ozpin said, trying to comfort Jason.
Jason then looked at Ozpin, and decided to tell him what Reaper said.
"And he also said you knew about my real family..." Ozpin and Glenda tried to hide there shocked reaction, but failed to. "Care to explain?" Jason asked, sounding dead serious.
Ozpin and Glenda both looked at each other for a moment. Glenda nodded and then walked past Jason and entered the elevator. Jason didn't bother to look back, he just stared at Ozpin. Once the elevator left, Ozpin sighed in frustration.
"So... He told you that? And you believed him?" Ozpin asked. Jason just nodded his head.
"Well..." Ozpin waited a moment, thinking about what he should say next. "He's right Jason. I knew you're parents, and you're older brother." Jason didn't know what to feel. Or what to say. He just clenched his fists in frustration. On one hand, Ozpin knew his family, so he could find out everything he wanted to know about them. On the other hand, Ozpin kept it a secret for as long as they've known each other.
"Were you ever going to tell me?" Jason asked quietly. "Yes. And believe me Jason, I've been wanting to tell you for a while now, but I wasn't sure when would be the best time." Ozpin noticed the Jason wasn't feeling any better about this. "I suppose now is a good time for me to tell you... At least,what you're father wanted me to tell you." This got Jason's full attention.
"Alright. Start talking." Jason then started focusing on what Ozpin would say next. Ozpin leaned forward and rested his elbows on his desk, and held his hands together.
"You're father, Fredric, was a good friend of mine Jason. Even though he was a faunas, he managed to live a decent life. He met a beautiful woman named Jennifer, and had two kids. You, and you're older brother Derek..." Ozpin paused, to see if Jason would ask any questions. He remained silent, so Ozpin continued.
"But even though he lived with a good family, he still had trouble living a normal life-" "how come?" Jason asked, starting to get impatient. As mad as he was now, a part of him was excited about learning about his father.
Ozpin then sighed in annoyance.
"Because he left the white fang." This surprised Jason. "My father used to be in the white fang?!" Jason shouted in shock. "Why did he leave?!" Jason asked. He wasn't as mad as he was curios now. "He left Because he met you're mother, and the white fang wouldn't allow him to be with her." Ozpin answered.
This confused Jason. "Why wouldn't they let him be with her?" Jason asked, no longer shouting. Ozpin then leaned back in his chair.
"They met during the riots, a few years before the white fang changed there ways. The white fang didn't want anything to do with the humans during the riots, but you're father ignored that rule and would visit her anyway." Jason was even more confused by this point. "So, why wouldn't they let him be with her? It's not like he fell in love with a human." Ozpin then stared at Jason, giving him a moment to think about it. Jason thought for a moment before realizing what Ozpin meant.
"Oh..." That was all Jason could say.
"Jason, you're father did fall in love with a human. Which makes you half human."
Jason's heart skipped a beat. He didn't know what to think.
His father used to be in the white fang. His mother was a human.
He's half human.
All these thoughts rushed through Jason's mind, but he didn't know how he should respond.
"Um..." Jason tried to speak, but no words came out. "I know this must be difficult for you, but you're father would've wanted you to know this." Ozpin said. Though Jason didn't say anything. He just kept thinking.
Then he remembered his dreams. About a fire being started, and Reaper being there.
"The fire, my family died in..." Jason said, finally speaking. "It wasn't an accident, was it?" Jason asked, still shocked about what he learned about his parents, but still trying to remember anything.
"Sadly, it wasn't." Ozpin answered.
"It was started by you're fathers best friend when he was in the white fang." Jason was shocked yet again.
"Why did they kill him? And why his best friend?" Jason asked quickly, trying to learn as much as possible.
"The white fang considered it a betrayal since he left to be with you're mother. So they sent an assassin to kill you're father, and everyone else in the household. They didn't know who to send, so they forced His friend to do it." Jason couldn't believe what he was hearing. The thought that his family was killed by someone his father trusted made him sick.
"Why? Why did he listen to them?" Jason asked quietly.
"I don't know." Ozpin replied. "I don't know his name. But he didn't want you and you're brother to remember that night, so he used his semblance. It gave him the ability to tamper with someone's mind, so he made you and Derek forget everything that happened on that night, and everything else before. However, the semblance is temporary so it must be wearing off now." Jason hated to admit it, but a part of him was thankful that he didn't remember the night his family was killed. "How do you know what happened?" Jason asked, not even bothering to sound angry.
"Because I was there. Celebrating you're birthday with you and you're family." Ozpin answered, upset at the memory of that night.
Something inside Jason shattered. The thought of all that happening on his birthday made him feel horrible about himself for some reason.
"Is... Is that why you didn't tell me? Because it was my birthday?" Jason asked quietly. Ozpin nodded his head in response. "I'm sorry Jason. About everything that happened. About keeping this a secret from you." That was all Ozpin could do. Apologize.
"Don't apologize Ozpin..." Jason replied quietly. "It's not you're fault." Jason was more upset then Ozpin was, but he didn't want Ozpin to feel like it was his fault.
Without saying a word, Ozpin stood up and walked up to Jason with his right hand in his pocket. Once Ozpin got close to Jason, he pulled a key that was connected to a long chain out of his pocket.
"Here." Ozpin said. Jason just stared at the key. "Um... What is this for?" Jason asked. "You're father left a chest for me to give you when I told you everything. This key unlocks it." Ozpin replied. Jason didn't know what he should do, but he took the key and put it in his own pocket. "Where's the chest?" Jason asked, still being quiet. "I'll have it delivered to you're room tomorrow." Ozpin answered. Jason nodded his head in thanks and was about to head to the elevator. But then he remembered something Ozpin said.
"Wait a minute..." Jason said, speaking a little louder then he was before.
"You said that the man that killed my parents wanted me and Derek to forget that night, didn't you?" Jason asked. Ozpin widened his eyes, but then sighed. "Well... I suppose you deserve to know this. But the night you're parents were killed, and you and you're brother forgot everything, I stopped the man from taking you away. I promised you're father I wouldn't let the white fang take you away to join them." Ozpin then looked down at the floor. But then back at Jason. "But they got Derek. So there's a chance he's still alive." This almost made Jason jump with joy. The brother he never knew he had might be alive!
"R-really? Are you sure?" Jason asked. Ozpin nodded in response. "I have huntsman and huntress's doing everything they can to find him. We haven't found anything yet, but we haven't given up hope." This finally made Jason happy. If his brother was alive, then that would mean that Jason still have a bit of family left. Real family.
"Thank you." Jason said. This made Ozpin smile. "No need for thanks. Now go try to get some sleep, you look exhausted." Jason nodded and walked to the elevator, still limping slightly. Jason then pushed a button and the elevator doors closed, and then it moved downward. So Jason could go to his room, and get some sleep.
Hopefully, he would calm down after hearing everything Ozpin told him.

TO BE CONTINUED