Chapter 22

(I just want to point out that this is the last dream Jason will have about the night his parents were killed, so I will rush this. That's all.)

IN JASONS DREAM

Jason gripped the doorknob and slowly opened it, a smile grew on his face because of the sight.
"Uncle Ozpin!" Jason shouted. Ozpin then grabbed Jason with both arms and lifted him up. "Hello Jason!" Ozpin replied.
Ozpin's hair was shorter than when Jason was awake and he had no glasses. He also had a leather jacket with a green shirt under it. And blue jeans.
"How are you?" Ozpin asked. "I'm great!" Jason said happily.
"Where's aunt Glenda?" Jason asked. Ozpin then put Jason down. "She's on her way, don't worry." Ozpin replied.
"But in the meantime, I got something for you..." Ozpin then pulled out a long box, and held it in front of Jason.
"Happy birthday." Ozpin then gave Jason the box, who took it. Jason quickly opened it and pulled out a toy sword. "Whoa..." Jason said happily. "This is so cool!" Jason shouted. Ozpin then chuckled.
"That's good. Now, I need to talk to you're parents. Why don't you go play?" Jason then smiled. "Thank you." Jason then ran into the living room to play with his sword.
Once Jason was in the living room, he swung his toy sword around a few times. Pretending to fight grim.
Jason was then interrupted when he heard footsteps behind him. He turned around, and out of the corner of his eye, saw a strange figure walk down the hallway. Jason then decided to go investigate it.
Jason slowly walked where he saw the figure, with his toy sword raised. Once he was close enough, he quickly turned the corner, but didn't expect what happened next.
"BOO!" Someone shouted. Jason screamed and stepped back. It was Derek. Scaring Jason for fun.
Derek started laughing, trying not to fall down. Jason then pouted.
"You jerk!" Jason shouted.
"Derek! Leave you're brother alone!" There mother shouted from the kitchen. "Sorry Jason." Derek said, catching his breath. Jason punched Derek in the shoulder, but he started laughing again.
Before Derek could say anything else, they heard a glass break in the kitchen. "What was that?" Jason asked. "I don't know..." Derek replied. "I'll go check it out, you keep playing." Derek then walked to the kitchen to see what was going on. Jason was a little worried, but decided to keep playing, like Derek said.
He walked back into the living room, but then felt something pinch his left shoulder. "Ow!" Jason said quickly. He looked at his shoulder and saw a small dart in his shoulder. Before he could do anything else, he started to feel dizzy.
He then fell onto the floor. Everything was blurry now, and Jason was about to pass out. But right before he did, he saw someone walk into the room. Jason couldn't see his face because of the mask. Jason then fell asleep.

Everything was pitch black and Jason could barely hear anything. But he heard someone yelling.
Jason slowly opened his eyes and saw that he was outside, and the sky was darker than it was earlier.
But Jason also felt waves of heat. He looked at his cabin and saw that it was on fire, some parts had all fallen onto the ground.
Jason was terrified. He didn't know what was happening.
He tried to move, but he was tied to a tree. Jason looked to his left and saw Derek, who was also tied to a tree. Jason also noticed a small trail of blood coming from the top of his head.
"Derek?" Jason asked. No response.
"Derek?!" Jason asked again. Still no response. "Derek?!" Jason shouted. This time, Derek slowly moved his head, but grunted because of the pain. He slowly opened his eyes, but was shocked by what he saw. He then looked at Jason.
"Jason! Are you okay?!" He shouted. Jason managed to nod his head, but was scared by what was happening. Jason and Derek both heard something being dragged along the ground. They looked where the sound was coming from and saw a masked man dragging there mother on the ground by the back of her shirt. "M-mommy?" Jason whispered. He was terrified even more now. Jason looked at Derek, who was also scared, but hatred for the masked man filled his eyes. Jason then heard a thud. He looked back at his mother and saw her laying on the ground, next to two other's, who were also tied up. One of them started to move, but the masked man grabbed him by the hair and pulled him up.
"Well if it isn't the famous Ozpin." The man said. "I've always wanted to meet you, though under better circumstances." He said as he pointed at Jason's mother and the other figure who was most likely his father. "What do you want, Richard?" Ozpin asked, with hate filling his voice. The masked man, now known as Richard, let go of Ozpin's hair, letting him fall onto the ground. "Well, the white fang gave me a job. And I have no choice but to obey." Richard answered. He then pulled out a black pistol from under his cloak. Jason tried to scream for help, but couldn't find the courage to speak. He then looked back at Derek, who pulled a small pocket knife out of his pocket and started cutting the rope that restrained him. "As much as I hate to do this, it needs to be done." Richard said, getting Jason's attention.
Richard then pointed the gun at Jason's father. he also heard Derek start cutting the rope faster.
"I'm sorry Fredrick." And then, Richard pulled the trigger. After the first shot was fired, he pointed it at his mother and fired another shot. Derek managed to finally cut himself free, but it was to late.
Derek then threw the pocket knife at Richard, who caught it with his free hand. He then looked at Derek and threw the knife back at him.
Derek ducked under the knife and charged at Richard. Once close enough, Derek tried to punch Richard in the face, but he tilted his head to the left and dodged the attack. He then grabbed Derek by the throat and lifted him off the ground. He then put his gun away and pulled Derek close to his face. Richard then pushed a button on the side of the mask with his other hand, which turned the lights in the eyes off. He then looked Derek in the eyes and activated his semblance. Causing Derek to forget what happened that night, and everything before it.
Derek's whole body shook, trying to escape Richard's grip. But he soon stopped moving, passing out because of Richard. He then let go of Derek, letting him drop onto the ground.
"You bastard!" Ozpin shouted. But Richard ignored him and walked towards Jason. Once he got to Jason, he got on one knee and looked him in eyes, getting ready to activate his semblance. Jason was terrified, he tried to move but he couldn't. "I'm sorry this had to happen kid." And with that, Richard activated his semblance, making Jason forget everything.
Jason saw a flash of light and in an instant, he felt tired again. Everything started to get dark again. But Jason saw Richard get up and walk away.
But Richard was attacked by someone, Jason watched as Richard battled someone. He couldn't tell what was happening in the fight, but he got a good enough look to see Glenda trying to defend him and Ozpin. Richard then grabbed Derek and ran into the forest, and just like that, he was gone.
Glenda then untied Ozpin as fast as she could. Once untied, Ozpin ran toward Jason to untie him as well. He said something, but Jason didn't hear anything. He saw Glenda checking the two dead body's. But then looked back at Ozpin, who was still moving his lips, but no words came out. Jason was now getting dizzy again. He fell on his side and looked at the burning building, with tears running down his face.
And just like that, he passed out again.

IN THE REAL WORLD

Jason didn't wake up suddenly.
This time, he slowly opened his eyes, forcing himself awake. He looked around and was surprised he fell asleep in the training room. But the other thing that surprised him was that Ruby was leaning her head in his right shoulder. Snoring quietly.
Jason couldn't help but smile at this. Sure, Ruby was childish. But Jason liked that about her. She was also kind, and funny, he liked spending time with her. Jason pulled his scroll out of his pocket to check the time.
It was eleven twenty pm. Jason figured that the other's were also asleep, but apparently Ruby decided to stay.
Jason slowly got up, trying not to wake Ruby, and then picked her up bridal style, and left the training room.
Once Jason was outside, he looked up at the night sky. Enjoying the peace and quiet. He then looked at Ruby, so was trying to get closer to Jason to keep warm. Jason decided to get Ruby to her room and out of the cold air.
On the way to Ruby's room, Jason thought about his dream. The memory of what happened then made him sad, but on the other hand, not only did he remember what happened that night, but other memories slowly were coming back to him. Apparently he would sometimes call Ozpin 'uncle Ozzy'. He then decided to keep Yang from finding that out.
Jason then enter a large and then started climbing a large flight of stairs.
Eventually, Jason reached the right floor and walked down the hall to get to Ruby's room.
Once Jason was right outside there door, he got ready to knock on the door, with his foot. But he heard Ruby grunt a few times.
He looked down at her and then Ruby started to open her eyes. Once they were open, she looked up and saw Jason looking down at her, with a smirk on his face.
"Sleep well?" Jason asked jokingly. Ruby looked around in silence for a moment and realized that Jason was carrying her. Her face then started to turn red. Red like roses.
(I had to)
"Um... You can put me down now." Jason then set Ruby's feet on the ground and let go of her.
"Th-thank you." Ruby managed to say, still blushing. "No problem. But why did you stay with me back there?" Jason asked. Ruby started blushing a little more. "Well I wasn't tired so I decided to stay, but I guess I was tired and fell asleep..." Ruby looked at the ground, trying to avoid eye contact. Jason then chuckled. "Well, thanks Ruby." Jason said, trying to make Ruby fell less embarrassed. "No problem." Ruby replied.
The air was silent for a moment before Ruby spoke again. "Well... Goodnight." Ruby said, her face still slightly red. "Goodnight Ruby." Jason replied. Ruby then turned around and reached for the key to her room. Jason then turned and was about to walk to his room, but stopped in his tracks. Jason sighed and then turned to look at Ruby.
"Hey Ruby..." Jason said. Ruby then stopped what she was doing and looked at Jason. "Yeah?" She asked, the blush finally gone. Jason rubbed the back of his head. A little nervous about what he was doing. "Well... I was wondering... Would you wanna grab lunch sometime?" Jason asked. Ruby looked a little confused. "Um...okay. I'll see you tomorrow at the cafeteria." Ruby responded. Jason sighed in frustration and rubbed his hand on his forehead. "I mean... Just you and me..." Jason said quietly. "Oh..." Now Ruby's blush was back.
They were both quiet for a moment. Letting awkward silence fill the air.
"Sure." Ruby said, breaking the silence. Jason then looked at her, a little surprised. "What?" Jason asked. "I said sure. I would like to have lunch with you." Ruby answered, still blushing. Jason tried to hide his smile. "Great. So, when do you feel like it?" Jason asked. "How about tomorrow? Or is it to soon Because of the stuff professor Ozpin told you?" Ruby asked back.
"Oh tomorrow's great." Jason replied. "Alright. I'll see you tomorrow." After that, Ruby unlocked her door and entered the room. "Goodnight." Ruby said quickly before closing the door.
Jason stood there for a moment before raising his fist upward in victory. He then turned around and walked into his own room. He closed the door and put his scroll, his room key, and the container of cookies Ruby gave him on a desk. He then place the key that was around his neck on the desk to. Jason turned around and saw a chest at the foot of his bed on the floor. He assumed it was the chest that Ozpin told him about.
The chest was a foot tall and three feet long. It was also slightly rusty.
Jason decided not to open it yet and grabbed a some pajamas and quickly changed. He wore black pajama pants and a white undershirt.
He then grabbed the container of cookies and sat on his couch. He opened it and started shoving the cookies in his mouth. After they were gone, he laid on his bed and went to sleep.

TO BE CONTINUED