Chapter 2

"Okay boys, tack up your horses and mount them. If you need any help Liam and Harry are standing by. I'll see you in the arena."

Paul turned on his heel and started towards the large arena in front of us.

I sighed and trudged back to Snowy's stall and grabbed his halter. I slipped it over his head and led him from the stall then tied him to a tree. I quickly brushed him, then went to get my saddle. I put on the saddle blanket, then adjusted the saddle pad, before sitting the saddle on top. I unbuckled the halter and slipped it off Snowy, sliding on the bridle and buckling it.

The other boys around me were doing the same although a few weren't finished yet. Since I wasn't quite ready to get on, I leaned against the tree and closed my eyes.

The school had strict rules and a schedule to follow. Week A consisted of all the boys riding from six to eight in the mornings, going to lunch at twelve thirty then girls riding from six to eight in the afternoons. Week B was the opposite, the girls rode in the morning and the boys rode in the afternoon. Once a week, our horses had to be bathed and groomed. At the end of the summer there was going to be a competition between all the riders and whoever won would get a big trophy.

There were five stable hands. Josh, Niall, Zayn, Liam, and Harry. Josh, Zayn, and Harry mostly stayed in the barn and tended to the horses, unless a horse freaked out, then Harry would come to calm them down. It was bizarre what he could do just by touching a horse. Liam and Niall helped in the arena when someone fell off or if a jump needed to be heightened.

A tap on the shoulder caused me to open my eyes and search for the cause of my disturbance. Harry stood in front of me looking bored.

"I'm not sure if you've realised it, but everyone else is in the ring already princess.." He smirked.

I rolled my eyes and scuffed my boot on the dirt, before lifting myself onto Snowy's back. Harry stepped back as I clucked my tongue and Snowy walked forward.

"Don't call me princess." I spat as I walked into the ring.

The lesson went pretty well except for a few students who didn't know how to control their horses, but then again, neither did I. Snowy and I had a few minor problems, but overall nothing bad happened. We were just working on our posture, checking our diagonals and canter leads, counting trot steps and canter strides, and posting and sitting during the trot. It was a fairly simple lesson and I was pleased when I was complimented on my good posture.

I dismounted and led Snowy back to the tree where I untacked him, humming quietly to myself. I slung his bridle over my shoulder and hooked the halter over his head once again. I unbuckled the girth and threw it over the saddle, sliding the saddle blanket, pad, and saddle off at once. I went to return it to the barn, but I didn't notice a root sticking out of the ground and tripped over it, face planting onto the ground. I heard a deep chuckle from behind me and someone scolding the boy for laughing.

"Harry, don't laugh. Go see if he's hurt."

I pushed myself up onto my knees and looked down at myself, noticing my elbows were bleeding pretty badly. Other than that I was fine, aside from being covered in dirt.

"Need a hand?" Harry chuckled.

I glared up at him and ignored his outstretched hand, pulling myself up by grabbing the tree trunk.

"I don't see how this is funny." I hissed.

"Relax, you're fine, your saddle's fine, your horse is fine. It's not like the world ended or something."

He bent down to pick up my stuff that I had dropped and handed it off to Liam.

"Just set it by my saddle, I'll clean it later." He sighed.