Chapter 18 (Part 2)

A/N I AM SO SORRY. I THOUGHT THIS POSTED LIKE THREE WEEKS AGO BUT IT LIKE SAVED AS AGO DRAFT OR SOMETHING? IDEK

****

Louis’s POV

“Babe? What’s wrong?”

I tried to say something but my voice was muffled by Harry’s pillow. I rolled onto my back and Harry gazed down at me with a concerned look on his face.

“Just tired.” I lied. “Cuddle?” I held my arms up childishly and scooted over to make room for him.

He laughed quietly as he laid beside me and I moved to rest my head on his chest, draping my arm around his waist.

Even if I did end up marrying a princess I knew I would always love Harry. I just hoped he would always love me back. I knew it would break his heart if I married the princess my mum wanted me too, but I really didn’t have a choice. I had a duty to my country.

I had hoped to one day marry Harry, I’d buy him all the horses he wanted and he could teach lessons and ride and at night we could go to sleep in the same bed. We could take turns cooking breakfast and one day we might even adopt kids.

“Lou, tell me what’s wrong.” Harry sighed.

I hadn’t realized I had started to cry. Harry kissed my forehead and held me tighter as I choked on a sob. For once he was the one comforting me and not the other way around.

“My dad is sick. He’s gonna die soon.” I whimpered.

Harry’s breath hitched and his arms tightened even further. He knew what I was dealing with. He had lost his mum and sister.  “I’m so sorry.” He whispered.

I decided not to mention the part about me being king and instead buried my face in his shirt and cried until my throat was raw and my eyes burned.

Harry didn’t say anything, he didn’t ask any questions, he just held me. It was just what I needed, but that only made me cry more. Harry was what I needed, not some dumb Princess from France.

He smoothed his hand over my bare back, helping me breathe. When the room grew quiet except for my sniffles Harry let me go. I frowned, feeling my bottom lip tremble.

“I’m gonna go get us some dinner. I’ll be right back.” He pecked my lips softly and I tried to smile, but I just couldn’t.

Everything was slipping through my fingers like sand. I sat there for a few minutes after he left, just staring at my feet which I was swinging idly.

My eyes caught on my duffle bag in the corner and I sighed, wiping my eyes as I bent down to dig through it. I dug out the black velvet box and opened it, revealing my crown.

I turned the crown, watching it sparkle as the light hit the gems. It was slightly smaller than my father's, but it was still beautiful. It had been custom made for me when I was born. All of my family member's birthstones were incorporated into the design and it was solid gold.

A tear rolled down my cheek. I would have to choose between my crown and Harry. I couldn't be King and be with Harry, not publicly at least, but I didn’t want to make him hide. He deserves better than that.

I placed the crown on my head with shaky fingers and forced myself to stand up and look in the mirror.

I looked like a wreck with the bags under my eyes and a dirty tshirt with sweatpants. I hung my head in shame. What kind of King would I be anyways?

I heard the door open and Harry's shoes on the floor.

He stopped when he saw me and stared at me through the mirror with a frown. He set the food down on the bed and rushed over to me. He stepped between the mirror and me and put his hands on my hips.

I sniffed, burying my face into his shoulder. He immediately wrapped his arms around me as I cried into his neck, winding my arms around his waist. "I can't do this." I whimpered. “I can't be king.”

Harry hugged me tighter and whispered my name softly. I looked up through teary eyes and he kissed my forehead. “You’re going to be a great king.” He smiled a little, but I could see the pain in his eyes.

“But, if I’m king then that means I have to have a queen.” Louis sniffled. “Harry, I can’t- you’re all I want.”

“We knew this would happen.” Harry sighed. “It was inevitable.”

"How are you okay with this?" I pulled back. "Why aren't you upset?" I suddenly grew self conscious.

"I never said I was okay with it." Harry sighed. "But ever since we started dating I've been preparing for this." He looked down at his feet. "Everyone leaves. I'm used to it by now."

I felt what was left of my heart shatter and I was instantly back in his arms. “I’m so sorry, baby.” I whispered. “I never want to hurt you.”

He just held me tight and kissed my head. “Everything will be alright.” He sighed. “It has to be.”

****

A/N Sorry it took so long...I’ve been sick a lot and super busy.

Please check out my other books. I have a new collab called Dance With Me that’s pretty awesome if I do say so myself ;)