Chapter 19

Harry's POV

The next few days passed slow and painfully. We made love after he told me about the princess. I knew it would probably be the last time so I savored every second and I could tell he did too, which is probably why we both ended up crying by the end of it.

I tried to distance myself after that, slowly shortening the amount of time we spent together. I was working again now that I only had to wear a small brace on my ankle. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't distance myself enough. Every night Louis would be waiting in bed with his glasses perched on his nose as he read a book, played on my computer, or played a game on his phone. He would wait until I showered, sometimes joining me, and then but a pillow under my ankle and an ice pack on top. He would snuggle into my side and I would kiss his forehead.

We had fallen into a routine that I didn't want to break but the days kept passing no matter how bad I wanted to stop time.

I was angry, to the point where I would sneak off to the lake when I said I was working and just throw a fit. I'd throw stones in the water and curse at everything. I would fall on my knees asking why it had to be me. I was losing the love of my life and my horse was dying.

I had lost all hope and it began to show. Everything Louis had brought out in me slowly receded back into my hollow shell. I became how I was before he showed up. I brushed off everyone when they asked if I was okay. Even Louis.

When I wasn't working or sleeping I was with Missy. Her eyes were kind and forgiving when I poured out my heart to her. I felt as if she was the only one I could trust. All the progress I had made was being erased with each passing day.

Louis got easily frustrated with me and I was always tired so it usually ended in a fight. He said he loved me but the words seemed to lose meaning to me. Maybe I wasn't supposed to have love.

***

A week later The Queen came to the barn. I was in Missy's stall, humming quietly to her and absently strumming my guitar. I hadn't seen Louis all day so when they both peeked over the door I was a bit shocked.

I set the guitar aside and stood up to dust myself off.

I could see Queen Johanna examining Missy and I instantly grew defensive, ready to lash out before she spoke.

"My son is fond of you." She pursed her lips. "Your mare is dying and you can't afford the surgery that will save her life, so he tells me." She waved a hand. "His father is also dying. The king is very sick, much like your mare. Louis will become King and he needs a queen but he refuses to meet her unless I pay for this surgery."

I was speechless, I just looked at Louis with slightly wide eyes.

"I-I..." I was torn. I desperately wanted the surgery for Missy but I knew I would never be able to pay her back. "I can't pay you back." I whispered, looking down at my feet.

"I wasn't asking you too." She smiled. "However, I would like you to come live at the palace and teach lessons to my children and eventually my grandchildren."

Louis and I both seemed shocked at that and my throat burned. To save Missy I would have to watch the man I love be happy with his wife every single day and have kids with her.

"Mum-" Louis looked at her.

"Hush Louis." She gave him a look. She turned back to me. "We have excellent facilities where Mystique can recover. So what do you say?"

I opened and closed my mouth a few times and glanced at Louis, who looked just as conflicted as I did.

I knew it was my only option. "Yes." I nodded.