Chapter 4

Waking up so early in the morning was really starting to take a toll on me. Luckily it was Friday, so that meant I could sleep in tomorrow and next week I would ride in the afternoons. I yawned and leaned half of my weight onto Snowy while I picked out his hooves.

Harry and I hadn't talked much since the episode in Missy's stall. She came back a few days later and Harry seemed somehow happier. Sometimes he would glance at me and wave, but other than that we didn't communicate. I felt like he was avoiding me, but I was probably just being paranoid.

I forced myself to stand up again and moved to the back hoof. I missed my bed back home. It was super soft and comfy whereas the one here was like sleeping on a wooden plank. My back had been aching for the last three days.

I tacked up Snowy and led him over to the stool so I could get on, then I nudged him and we went into the arena where Zach was waiting. I really liked Zach, he was a great friend and he didn't seem to care that I was the prince. He treated me like he would if I was just a normal lad. We talked for a few minutes until Amy, one of the trainers, came out and made us line up.

We had been working on dressage all week and she said we'd be working on jumping next week. I was fantastic at dressage, but jumping was another story. I fell off nearly every time the jump was raised above two feet. It was quite the embarrassment to my father who could jump over six feet on his thoroughbred mare, Lily perfectly.

I made sure Snowy was on the bit and trotted in a small circle as instructed. When the whistle was blown I moved my inside leg back and kicked. Snowy moved into a smooth canter and I guided him across the arena. Another whistle was blown and I signaled for Snowy to do a flying lead change. He easily adjusted to the change in leads, but my hands faltered a bit and he slowed his pace.

"Use your crop Louis!" Amy called.

We learned on the second day that I had to carry a crop when I rode Snowy, because he was reluctant to go fast. I tapped his shoulder with the leather part of the crop and he sped up. We worked on circles and changing gaits a bit longer, before Amy told us to go in.

I dismounted and led Snowy over to a tree. He stood still while I removed the saddle and bridle. I slipped the halter over his head and then used a rope to tie him loosely to the tree. I carried his tack back to my assigned tack room and found the hook that had Snowy scribbled above it on a dry erase board. I hung up the bridle there and sat the saddle on the rack beneath it.

I passed Liam, Zayn, Niall, and Josh on my way out. I had noticed that around noon they would all take off their shirts while they worked, yet Harry never took his off even if he was drenched in sweat.

Harry was holding Dane's horse while he hosed him off. Dane' horse was very skittish and didn't like water at all, so I figured that's why Harry was holding him.

I waited for him to finish then took the hose from him. Harry handed the lead rope back to Dane and returned to the barn. I shook my head at his retreating back. I really wanted to know why he didn't take his shirt off, I mean, his grey shirt was soaked in sweat. It was weird, he didn't smell bad, he was just really sweaty. I guess that's from working in the sun all day though.

I walked Snowy in a circle a few times to cool him off, then let him out into the pasture with the other geldings.

He romped over to a grey horse who I couldn't remember the name of and they sniffed each other some, then ate grass side by side.

I left the fence and strolled across the dirt. I returned to my room, changed clothes, grabbed my satchel, and headed to the Dining Hall. I persuaded Candice, the lunch lady, to give me my lunch early in a brown paper bag and throw in an extra apple for Snowy.