Chapter 6

The next morning I woke up early by mistake and I couldn't seem to be able to go back to sleep. I slipped on a pair of black athletic shorts and a purple t-shirt along with an old pair of TOMS. I ran my fingers through my hair quickly, trying to tame it somewhat, but I gave up on it when I realized it wasn't going to cooperate with me. I brushed my teeth, put in my contacts, and then went to the dining hall for some breakfast.

Candice made me eggs, bacon, and toast and I scarfed them down before washing it all down with a glass of milk.

After I took my tray back, I went to the barn to get Snowy. I thought I'd go ahead and bathe him while everyone else was asleep. It would get really crowded once everyone woke up. Inspections were at 7 PM. It was only 6 AM when I had woken up so it was probably around 6:45 or something when I led Snowy over to the hose and tied him loosely to a tree.

I picked up the hose and began spraying Snowy's back and hindquarters, making sure to wet him thoroughly.

"You're up early, Princess."

I almost dropped the hose in surprise. I turned off the water before turning to Harry and taking him in.

He was soaked from head to toe. I raised an eyebrow and he pointed to Missy who was dripping wet in the field behind me.

"I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep." I shrugged. "Why are you up so early, cupcake?" I winked.

If he was going to keep calling me Princess, well, then two could play at that game.

"I always bathe Missy really early because I don't want anyone scaring her. I'm about to trim her mane and tail."

He didn't wait for my reply before walking into the barn.

I continued wetting Snowy then grabbed the horse shampoo and squirted it directly onto him. As I scrubbed him with a brush, I saw Harry in the corner of my eye plugging in something on the outside of the barn.

I kept an eye on him as he led Missy over to the plug and dropped her lead rope. I was amazed she stayed still. Snowy would have taken off had I done that. She whined and Snowy neighed back.

He took the mane trimmer and carefully clipped off the ends of Missy's dark hair. When he was satisfied he moved to her tail and did the same.

I hosed all the soap off of Snowy and grabbed a clean sweat scraper, which is really just a curved piece of rubber with a handle. I got most of the water off of Snowy, before letting him into the pasture to romp around.

I leaned against one of cross tie posts and watched as Harry stepped back and looked over Missy. I sighed and stood next to him.

"May I?" I held out my hand for the clippers.

He looked at me warily and shook his head.

"What are you going to do? She doesn't like strangers close to her."

"Would you just trust me. I groomed all of the horses at my dad's stable." I rolled my eyes. "I would never harm your precious Missy."

He hesitantly handed me the clippers and I grinned. I slowly made my way around to Missy's face, before letting her sniff my hands and the clippers. I slowly stroked up her muzzle until my fingers reached the tip of her forelock.

Harry watched me curiously, looking like he was ready to tackle me if I hurt his horse and I was pretty sure he would.

I spoke softly to her like I had seen Harry do many times and flipped on the clippers. She flinched a bit, but I scratched her cheek and she held still. I trimmed her forelock into the shape of a triangle, but left it long. I had a feeling Harry liked her hair long, considering her mane covered most of her neck and her forelock covered her eyes. He trimmed it just enough so that it wasn't completely covering her neck and face.