Chapter Seventeen

Collin's Pov:

I didn't get to see Johnny for the last time. I didn't get to say goodbye to him, to my little baby.

For one last time, I didn't get to see his bright eyes, so full of life and joy. Out of everyone, Johnny was special, very special. The first time they came to us, looking for a home Johnny was so happy, he didn't let it show but he was. He was scared but once he was comfortable he let lose and became a wild one, exploring because he knew we would protect him but we didn't.

I tried to stay strong.

Closing my eyes I tried thinking about anything that I could remember. Something that could trigger a memory. The police came to investigate. Asking us questions. "All I remember is seeing a figure stand in front as we drove, I told Nathaniel to move... that's all." I had said. I don't remember being shot at or anything. But we were. According to the gunshot wounds I had. Maybe if we had reacted faster, nobody would have been hurt. Absolutely nobody.

Nathaniel and Iris were in the front seat. Timothy had calmed down a little bit so I just sat there, then I see a little boy running. Nathaniel slowed down to let the little boy grab his ball. When he grabbed his red ball he stood there, looking towards us. Something was wrong about this.

He looked at us. Strangely. Then what seemed to be a mom came running towards him and she stood there too. But she didn't make a move to leave instead-

Iris's Pov:

We were driving, obviously. Nathaniel was always a careful driver. I will never blame him for what happened. It was never his fault. The situation was not controllable. It all happened to quick.

A little child with his ball.

Johnny is gone. He will no longer be able to play or run freely with his wolf. It make me angry, angry that Johnny is gone. Maybe we took him for granted? Maybe it was meant to happen. But how cruel it is to take away a little child, away from life.

Johnny was everything, only a stray looking for someone to love him and we did, we all did. I will never see him again, looking up at me with those eyes that always seemed so curious.

The strange kid stared at us. I couldn't seem to comprehend what was going on. Not until that lady, who looked so innocent but at the same time the she had this look, her whole person seemed wrong.

Nathaniel's POV:

It was my fault. I should have realized that this lady was pulling out something from her long black coat. She aimed at us, I should have reacted faster than I did. I was slowed down, then I tried moving away but she was shooting before I could. Everything after that was a complete and utter blur. Until I woke up in the hospital.

I could have tried to do something but all I did was fail. I couldn't save Johnny.

I failed Johnny, a little boy who wanted nothing but to be loved by parents that long ago abandoned him. But in return he received five parents who loved him so very much.

But love can't protect anyone. Love is useless in this new found world of cruelty. The only thing we have to protect our loved ones with is the same exact cruelty.

I sat in a wheelchair, looking out at the window. Nothing but woods. A private hospital for only people like us, I wish I was human. Then it would have never happened. I would have never met Dominic, fallen in love with Timothy and then being trapped with Iris and Collin. I wouldn't have been the cause of a poor innocent boy. A boy like Johnny.

"Nathaniel, are you feeling better?" I nodded not looking at Timothy. "Nathaniel, stop blaming yourself. None of us do."

He came to stand next to me, putting his hand on my shoulder. "Johnny, he's in a better-"

"Don't you dare say that. What nature was saying is that we weren't good enough for him, or that we weren't a good family for Johnny!"

"I'm not saying that Nathaniel-"

"Please leave. I need to be alone."

"You've been alone long enough Nathaniel and I complied, but not now!" Timothy pulled my wheelchair, hard because I pressed down. But he was in good health so he pulled me and began wheeling me out of room.

"Timothy-" he just kept pushing me into a room where we all were. Dominic, Iris, Collin, Sara, Dylan and now Nathaniel. Waiting for Nathaniel to make an appearance. It's been two weeks and they were all regaining their strength.

Looking away at the sight of them all, they all looked depressed and down. It was all my fault. I could have stopped it but I didn't.

"To better yourselves, you need fresh air. In order to know you all are ready to be back into civilization you will be in wolf form, to make sure your wolf is in good shape before you're out of treatment." The nurse said to us. We all agreed. Dominic and I would just run along side them all.

I took a deep breath of air.

We ran, Timothy, Iris, Sara and Collin changed into their wolves and ran. Dominic and I ran along side with them. I was feeling free with the cool air all around me.

We kept running, I kept running. Far from my problems. The others keeping along side me, behind me too. It felt good to be on the run. To just let everything go, all the problems we have now. The fresh air hitting my face, as I see the others happily, freely running as well. All of us enjoying the sun and the beauty that is nature. Soon it was time to stop, but I didn't want to stop. I wanted to keep going so I did. I kept running fast past them when they stopped, they yelled my name but I ignored them.

I needed the peace in mind that Johnny maybe was in a better place and he is happy now, but who knows. We don't know where he is or if he was in pain when he left. We left him in pain. 

I've given up on trying to graduate, I'm graduating with with just b's. I'm just gonna work for the rest of my life.. and write..

Thanks for the comments and support :)