Trying to Remember

Soon, Mel was cleared from the hospital. I brought her to the BAU to help her remember something. I had called the team to let them know what happened.

"The poor girl." JJ had said.

All I knew was that I was going to kill whoever did this to her.

We pulled up to the BAU. Mel went to unbuckle, but I stopped her.

"What's the last thing you remember?" I asked.

"I remember dropping out of collage and my dad wanting me to move out with my uncle, Aaron Hotchner. I don't remember much after that and even that memory has holes in it."

"Do you remember Justin?"

Her eyes widened and I could see fear cloud over her face. Obviously she did, but not the way the Mel I knew remembered him.

"He's in jail. Don't worry." I assured her.

"W-what happened to him?" she asked.

"I think it would be better if the team and I explained what happened in the last year in chronological order, together. It would probably make a bit more sense."

She nodded and got out. I watched her walk around to the front of the vehicle and stop, waiting for me. She looked down at her engagement ring and twisted it a few times, almost like she was trying to decide whether to keep it on or take it off.

I took a deep breath and got out of the car. Mel jumped and dropped her hands.

"Let's go." I said in a quiet voice.

I walked into the FBI building. Mel looked around, amazed. I smiled. Her amusement with the building was cute.

We walked into the elevator and I hit the button. The doors closed and we started going up. I smiled as I remembered the time when Mel and I had gotten stuck in the elevator and we told each other out feelings. Everything had gone so far from there.

The elevator doors opened and Mel and I exited. As we approached the doors, I noticed that the team had put up a sign that read "Welcome Back Mel!".

I opened the door for Mel. The moment she was in, Garcia ran up to her and hugged her tightly. Mel stood, unsure of what to do.

"Oh, Mel! I'm so glad you're okay!" Garcia said.

"Um." Mel looked to me for help.

Before I could talk, Garcia pulled away from the hug and said, "Oh right! You lost your memory. I'm Penelope Garcia, one of your best friends at the BAU."

"Penelope." Mel repeated, nodding. "Okay. Thanks."

"Mel," JJ said, approaching us. "I'm Jennifer Jareau, but everyone here calls me JJ. You've been know called me Jen sometimes. We have been close friends since you started here."

"Jennifer. JJ. Jen." Mel said, starting to look lost.

"Call me whichever is more comfortable at this point." JJ said. "It doesn't really matter."

"Jennifer."

JJ smiled and hugged Mel, gently. Mel hugged JJ back and awkwardly smiled. I could tell she wasn't very comfortable right now considering he events, but I could tell she liked that we were helping her.

Once JJ pulled away, she gave a mom like smile to Mel and turned to walk off. Mel looked at the ground, shyly. I put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. I wasn't sure if I should've done more than that. She was just getting to re-know everybody.

Morgan walked up to us. Mel looked up at him and slowly shied away, like a child on their first day of kindergarten. Morgan extended his hand.

"Derek Morgan." he said.