An Old Friend

*Hotch's POV*

"Just tell me she's okay, Aaron." Sean said.

He had called me that morning after getting word of a young girl in Virginia by the name of Melanie Hotchner who's car had been bombed.

"She's fine, Sean. She lost her memory and Reid is helping her regain it." I said, walking into the FBI building. I went to the elevators and hit the button to go up to the BAU floor.

"Reid? You mean Spencer?" Sean asked.

"Yes. I mean Spencer."

"Does she...remember him?"

"No. She doesn't remember anything from the past year, which is why we're trying to regain her memory."

"For the job."

I could hear disgust and disappointment in his voice. He hated that Mel became so swallowed up by her love for her job like me.

"No. For Spencer." I said, walking out of the elevator and into the office. "He's taking care of her right now. It'd be in your best interest to call her."

"Aaron, who did this to my daughter?"

"I can't tell you right now, but when we have him-"

"It's Justin, isn't it?"

I stopped just outside my office door.

"I'll give you more details as they come, but for now, call your daughter."

"Okay. I will. Bye."

I hung up and sighed. It was hard not being able to tell anyone anything, but I had to do it in order to keep the people I love and the people Mel loved safe.

I went to unlock my office door, but it was already opened. Strange.

A bad feeling washed over me as I walked in a turned on the light. I put my bag in the floor as I placed my bag on the floor.

"You're looking good, Aaron." a voice said. I looked up. Sitting in my office chair was Jason Gideon.

I smiled.

"Welcome Jason."

*Reid's POV*

Hotch called early that morning and asked Mel and I to come in early. He had a surprise.

I never really did like surprises, but, with everything going on lately, the words "come in early" and "surprised" being used in the same sentence made me nervous.

We got ready and went in. No one else was supposed to be there yet, but there was a second car in the parking lot.

"Who's that?" Mel asked, pointing to the other car.

"I don't know. Maybe it's part of the surprise."I replied.

We got out of the car and went up to the BAU floor. We walked through the glass doors and up to Hotch's office. Before I knocked, Mel hit my arm. She pointed to the Conference Room. The door was open.

"Hotch?" I called as we approached.

"Come in!" another voice answered.

Mel and I looked at each other, knowing who owned that voice. We walked into the Conference Room and, standing there next to Hotch was Gideon.

"Jason!" Mel exclaimed, running to hug him. He laughed.

"So you do remember me." he said.

"Yeah. It's just the last year I don't remember." she replied. "I'm glad to see you again, it's been forever."

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"It's great to see you too, Spencer." he laughed.

I rolled my eyes and hugged him, too. It's been a while. Probably should've started with the hug.

"Sorry." I said, pulling away. "What are you doing here, though?"

"I heard on the news that a BAU member had her car bombed and her name was Melanie Hotchner. I thought, 'What are the odds she's Sean's Melanie?' and, of course, I was right."

Mel laughed.

"We were talking about you the other night, actually." she said.

"Hopefully good."

"We were talking about how good you were at chess." I said. "How you could always kick my butt."

Gideon laughed.

"Well, I'd play a game with you now, but that's not why I'm here. I wanna help you guys find the person who did this to Mel. Got any leads?"

"We do. Let me fill you in." Hotch said and led him out of the room.

Mel and I turned to each other. I knew we had the same thought. He's back!

The team, including the returned Gideon, gathered in the Conference Room to talk about Justin.

"He has broken ribs." Blake said. "He can't get too far by himself. He's gonna need medical help."

"And who's gonna help a convict with no weapon?" Morgan added.

"How do you know he has no weapon?" Gideon asked.

"He used something from the hospital to stab the nurse, the cop and the doctor, but he left it there. He could have one now, for all we know." JJ said.

"We just hope he doesn't." I added.

"He's not really the type to just carry a weapon around wherever he goes." Mel said. "If he needs one, he'll use whatever he can find."

"And you know that for a fact?" Rossi asked.

"I dated him for about 2 years. I know that for a fact."

"Well, weapon less or not, we need to make sure he never gets you." Hotch said. "I want you to have constant protection wherever you go. At least one of us has to be with you."

"Mainly Reid considering he barley leaves you side, amnesia or not." Morgan teased, elbowing me in the ribs. I batted him away.

"I'm fine with that." Mel said. "I trust you guys."

"Alright." Rossi said. "Who wants the first shift?"