Interviewing a Witness

*Blake's POV*

Mel and I sat in the SUV as we drove to the hospital. Mel was unusually quiet.

"You okay?" I asked.

"I'm fine." she replied, unconvincingly. "I just don't want to face the woman who was harmed because of me."

"It's not your fault, Mel. We went through this when Justin was after you the first time." I said. "It's not your fault that he decided to harm people in order to get revenge on you. If anything, that's stupid and it's gonna be his own fault when he ends up back in jail."

"I hope you're right, Alex."

We pulled up to the hospital and went inside. Garcia had gotten us the room number. We went in the elevator and went up to the floor. Once we got to the room, we knocked.

"Come in." a hoarse voice said.

We walked in. The nurse, Hillary Jonah, lay in her bed, hooked up to an IV. She was deathly pale and looked like she was having trouble breathing.

Mel looked away in pain and guilt, leaning her head against my shoulder.

"Um, Hillary." I said. "My name is Alex Blake. This is Melanie Hotchner. We're from the FBI. We wanted to ask you a few questions about the guy who did this to you."

"Go ahead. Come in a sit down. Ask anything you want." Hillary said.

I sat in the chair next to her bed while Mel sat on the edge. She took Hillary's hand in hers and look at her.

"Are you okay?" she asked, her voice soft and comforting.

"I'm fine." Hillary laughed. "The doctors say there was no internal injuries. He didn't stab me that much and the knife didn't really go in that far."

Mel shuttered. I jumped in.

"That's because you weren't his target. He stabbed the doctor and the cop because they got in his way. You were just there. He had no intent on hurting you guys." I said. "But he is dangerous, which is why we're here."

Hillary nodded as I said all this.

"Do you remember what his injuries were? Why he was here?"

"Well, his face was all cut up and he had a black eye. The policeman thought he had broken ribs because during his fight, he had been kicked in the chest a lot and one of the inmates said they heard a crunch. He needed help walking too."

"If he has broken ribs, that means he probably wouldn't be able to get very far. Without medical help, they'll just get worst." Mel said. "He might be easier to find and catch now."

"Did he say anything when he was escaping or even before. Anything suspicious?" I asked.

"He was yelling at the policeman. That's how we knew he was escaping. He was fighting him and yelling, 'Let me go. Get out of my way. She deserves what she's gonna get. I must exact my revenge'."

Mel turned away. We both looked at her. She let out a ragged sigh and I could see her cheeks glittering. She was crying.

She turned back and looked Hillary square in the eyes.

"Hillary, the man who did this to you, he's my ex-boyfriend." she said. Hillary looked at her, wide eyed, but she continued. "His name is Justin. A year ago, he killed my best friend because he wanted to sen a message to me that if I didn't get back with him, he'd kill me too. He threatened my fiancè. I went to face him and he nearly killed me, too. A few days ago, he bombed my car and I lost my memory. The only reason I remember all this right now is because I was told."

Mel was now full on crying, not caring who seen.

"I'm so sorry. I feel like this is all my fault." she said. She wiped her tears and took a deep breath. She became serious. "But, I promise that I will catch him and out him behind bars for you and-and for the cop and the doctor and for everyone else he's hurt."

Hillary put her other hand over Mel's.

"You are a strong woman, Melanie Hotchner." she said. "I believe that you will do this. And don't think this is your fault because it's not."

"That's what I've been telling her." I mumbled.

We all laughed. There came a knock at the door. We turned to see nurse at the door. She lightly smiled.

"Miss. Jonah, I need to give you medicine now. Your visitors have to go." she said.

"Of course. We'll leave now. Could you give us a minute?" Mel asked.

The nurse nodded and stepped outside the door. We turned back to Hillary.

"Thanks for your time, Hillary." Mel said in a soft voice. "I hope you feel better soon."

"I hope you regain your memory." Hillary said.

"I will."

Mel and I stood up and left. As we walked out the door, Mel took one last look over her shoulder as the nurse closed the door.

"You okay, kiddo?" I asked.

She looked at me and smiled.

"Im fine." she said, nodding. "I'm going to find him and put him away until he rots."

"I like your ambition Melanie Ann Hotchner."

*Heres a hint on what the surprise is going to be. An old friend will be returning and they have been mentioned in a chapter already. No, it's not Justin*