Play Ball

*Reid's POV*

I walked through my apartment door and sighed. I dropped my bag on the floor and looked up. I smiled.

Mel was sitting on the couch, reading one of my many books. I smiled as her auburn colored hair shifted when she made the slightest movement. She tried pulling it back, but it just fell again.

I sat down next to her.

"Hey." I said. "What are you reading?"

She held up the book so I could see the cover, not taking her eyes off the page. Harry Potter. It was her favorite book. Her father sent in her books shortly after she and I got engaged and we managed to fit them into my bookshelves.

"You've read that about 7 times." I said. "And that's this year."

She looked up at m, surprised.

"You've already read all your books and all mine." I explained.

"In a year?" she asked.

"You can read about 20, 000 per minutes, like me."

She placed the book on her lap and her mouth dropped open. I had to chuckle at her surprise.

"You'll remember soon enough." I said, putting a hand on her shoulder. She leaned her head against my hand and sighed. It was something she always did when she was worried.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing. Just...enjoying your company." she said and gave me a genuine smile.

"You only met me a while ago." I reminded her, although it actually hurt to say that.

"No. I met you a year ago." she said. A spark of hope lit up in me. "At least, that's what I've been told." There goes the spark.

"Oh." I said. She straightened up and looked in my eyes. Her light blue eyes seemed to sparkle.

"I want to remember you. I really do. I think you're nice and even though I've only known you for a while, I know I can trust you and I think I can see why I fell in love with you." she said. The words seemed to be just tumbling out of her mouth and she wasn't giving them any thought. "I feel safe with you. I know you'd never hurt me or anything and, from what Derek has said, I know you'll protect me from anything."

I laughed.

"I'm rambling." she said. "I do it al the time when I'm nervous and stuff."

"It's okay." I said.

We sat in silence for a second. Mel shifted a bit, looking down at her lap.

"Spencer, can I try something?" she asked.

"Uh, sure?" I replied, though it sounded more like a question then an answer.

She looked up at me and moved closer. Trying her best to keep eye contact, she leaned forward and, gently, kissed my lips.

The kiss was quick and when she pulled away, Mel lightly blushed.

"I'm sorry." she said. "I was just seeing-"

I cut her off by quickly kissing her again. If she was trying to feel the spark and she didn't, I needed her to feel it again and fast.

Mel pulled away again.

"Yep. Definitely felt something." she said, nodding.

I smiled. Good. She felt something.

She smiled back and stood up.

"Where's the closest ball field?" she asked.

"Um, not too far. Why?" I asked, slightly confused.

"Well, when there's a lot going on and I need to clear my mind, I play baseball." she explained. "I never told you that, did I?"

"No, but it's understandable. You're usually too busy with work and stuff, you usually don't do much else." I said. "But if you wanna go to the ball field, I can drive you there."

"Great!"

Within a matter of seconds, she had on her coat and shoes and was waiting by the door. I had to laugh at her enthusiasm. It was great to be able to see her like this. Without a care in the world. She was always worried about work and stuff.

The minute we pulled up to the ball field, Mel was out of the car and down onto the field. She threw her coat at one of the dugouts and grabbed a baseball bat and ball that was always just lying on the ground.

"Can you pitch?" she called up to me.

"Kind of." I replied, shrugging. "I can try, I guess. I was ever an athlete."

"Neither was I." Mel admitted, throwing the ball at me. "I used to watch a lot of baseball with my dad. Yankees!"

She let out a "Woohoo" and laughed. I awkwardly chuckled, not knowing who the Yankees were. I wasn't an avid baseball watcher. Or any sport for that matter.

Mel walked up to Home Plate and stood side on, holding the bat behind her head.

"Play ball!" she exclaimed.

I laughed and threw the ball the best I could. She swung the bat and hit it. The ball went flying and landed a nice ways away.

"I'll get it!" she said, dropping the bat and running to get it.

"You know," I called after her. "my dad out me in baseball when I was little. He was the coach. He was trying to make me as normal as he could, but that ship had already sailed at that point."

Mel ran up to me, ball in hand. She looked me in the eyes, a combination of sadness and confusion on her face.

"Did you ever tell me that?" she asked, her voice soft and barley a whisper.

"Yes." I replied. "Once. A while ago."

She sighed and dropped to the ground. She brought her knees to her chest and rested her head on them. She looked like she was about to cry.

"God!" she said. "I'm so-so-"

"Don't say stupid."

She looked up at me.

"But I am! I can't remember ANYTHING! I can't remember you or-or my job or anything!"

I sat down next to her and looked her in the eye.

"It's not your fault you lost your memory. Whoever did this to you, it's their fault. You shouldn't feel sorry for anything that happened. You'll get your memory back soon." I assured her.

"What if I don't? You're a genius. You probably know the statistics of me remembering anything."

"I don't believe that intelligence can be accurately quantified." I said, which earned me a smile.

"An IQ of 187, an eidetic memory and can read 20,000 words per minute. I would quantify you as a genius." she replied. "Derek told me."

"What hasn't he told you?"

She shrugged and laughed. I smiled and helped her up.

"I have an idea. You throw me the ball and I'll try to hit it. I'm not the best, but I did play a game with the bureau softball team."

"I don't think softball is the same as baseball, Mr. Genius." Mel laughed as I passed her the ball.

"Well, technically, it's not. Softball is very different from baseball as softball has a smaller field, a bigger and softer ball, only 7 innings and underarm throws."

"Wow." she said. "You really are a genius."

I laughed and held the bat. Mel threw the ball. I swung as it came for me. It flew off and nearly hit Mel! She ducked out of the way and fell to the ground.

"Mel!" I exclaimed, running up to her. "Are you okay?"

Mel leaned her head back and laughed.

"I'm fine!" she replied. She reached her hands up. I grabbed them, but instead of me helping her hug, she pulled me down next to her and laughed harder. I laughed too.

It had been a while since Mel and I spent some time together. The last time was while we were under apartment arrest when Justin was after Mel.

I smiled and looked over at her. She looked back and returned my smile.

"I like spending time with you." she said. "You're nice and trustworthy. I can see why I'm in love with you."

She rolled on her side and propped herself up on her elbow.

"And, with saying that, I need to tell you something." she added, looking nervous'

"What?" I asked, suddenly feeling a bit concerned.

"Well, Penelope found fingerprints on the bomb that was in my car and she looked in her computers to see who's they were."

"And?"

"The fingerprints, they-they belonged to Justin."