Playing Chess With Gideon

It was soon Gideon's turn to watch over me. We were sitting at the kitchen table, playing chess.

"Check." I said as I moved one of my peices.

Gideon studied the board and I could've swore I had him, but he moved, knocked down my king and declared checkmate.

"How?!" I exclaimed as he laughed.

"Practice makes perfect, my dear." he said.

"Practice my ass! This is our 5th game and you've still managed to beat me!" I said. "Maybe Spencer is right."

"Isn't he always right?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I chuckled and rolled my eyes.

"Come on. One more game. I'll let you win." he said.

"You're on, but I'm gonna beat you fair and square."

I re-arranged the pieces into their proper spots and the started to play.

"Why'd you leave, Jason?" I asked.

"Needed a break, I guess. All those dead bodies and sad families. Doesn't it make you sad?"

I looked up at him. Realization crossed his face as he returned me look.

"I'm sorry. I forgot." he said.

"So did I." I replied. We both laughed. I made my move and nodded to Gideon. He made a move.

"Checkmate in 20." he whispered.

"No way." I said, shaking my head. "I see it in 15."

He looked up and raised an eyebrow, challenging me. I raised one back, accepting his challenge.

"Let's make this interesting, shall we?" I said.

"Okay. If I win, you have to admit that I'm the best chess player there is." he replied.

"And WHEN I win," I said, annunciating "when". "You'll stay on the BAU for a week after I get my memory back."

His smile faded. I could tell he didn't like my end of the bargain.

"It's only fair, Jason. They all miss you." I said. He was still pondering, so I continued. "One week, Gideon. 7 days. That's all."

He looked me in the eyes. He knew I was being serious when I called him "Gideon" and I knew he wouldn't say "no" to his "favorite girl".

"Fine." he said. "One week and that's it."

"That's all I want."

"Let's play."

We played. Every time he moved, I'd predict his next move and make my move before it. Just to test my theory, I moved the way I seen when I was him (my "gift", as Spencer called it) and he moved the exact way I seen.

"10." I announced as the board became bigger and there were less and less pieces.

"5."

I examined the board again.

"10." I confirmed and continued to play.

Gideon watched as I made my every move. 5 came up and I smirked. I knew it was only 5 moves. I just wanted to throw him off.

I moved and declared, for the first time that night, "Checkmate!"

Gideon looked at me, his eyes wide and his mouth open. I leaned against the table and raised a victorious eyebrow.

"Impossible." he said. "I thought you said-"

"10? I did. I was bluffing." I said, sitting back and crossing my arms. "I believe I win and we had a bet."

"One week." he confirmed, nodding.

I noticed how he changed.

"It won't be that bad, Jason." I said. "We all miss you like crazy. I know it's not your favorite job in the world, but can't you give us at least a week then a proper goodbye?"

He looked me in the eye and smiled.

"Spencer told you." he said.

I nodded.

"He tells me everything. I just made a point of asking about you a lot."

"Okay then. A week. None more, none less then a proper goodbye. One that you all deserve."

I smiled, widely.

"That's all we want."

*Shout out to ErinTyMillion. Go read her Criminal Minds story right now. It is so amazing!! Also, I was thinking of putting this up for the Watty Awards when I can. Should I??*