The Empress

"Hold fast, men! She's gaining on us!"

I gripped onto the railing as I watched the ship sail at top speed after us.

"Man the cannons!"

The British ship had much speed. There was not much ocean between them and us. We needed to go faster, or we would be forced to fight. With little wind, they were closing the gap quickly.

I turned to him. "We must sink it!"

He nodded with a grin as he manned the helm. "Uncork the cannons. Unload all the shots we have! Fire on those bastards!"

The men below pushed the cannons to the holes on the broadside. The British ship—the Stallion—careened alongside us. British soldiers on board roared, raising their guns and swords.

"We'll give 'em a good broadside," he beamed. He nodded upwards. "Get up there."

I did not hesitate and charged to the ropes, climbing them to the crow's nest above. The ships were so close that the keels skimmed each other. The masts were close enough for me to jump from mine to theirs.

"Fire!"

Cannons exploded. Men roared battle cries. As our men boarded the Stallion from below, I leapt from our mast to theirs, the tall structures rocking awkwardly. I pulled my flintlock from my belt and shot the soldier at the crow's nest. I grabbed the collar of his coat to prevent him from tumbling to the deck. I did not want to be detected, not yet at least.

This was always our strategy when taking enemy ships: flee to open sea, fire upon the enemy, I board from above and the men from below, I pick off men undetected until I feel the time is right. Such a strategy made us a formidable foe in the oceans. We ruled the seas this way.

Bored, I decided to make an early entrance. I pulled my swords from my belt and I stepped from the edge. I soared down to the deck, blades first. I impaled two men simultaneously and used their bodies to arch over to land on my feet. I gripped my flintlocks secured at my lower back. As I walked, I pulled them out and fired at any British soldier overwhelming a crew mate. Once empty, I shoved them back into their holsters behind me and unsheathed my dagger at my hip.

The captain was at the helm, fighting off my crew mates. I broke into a run as he cut down three. I kicked off the railing of the stairs leading to the helm, my blade out. The captain deflected and slashed. I danced away. I went on the defence, slowly easing into the offence. I stabbed and danced away. I parried and slashed. The captain swung and I ducked and rolled away, picking up a stray sword as I did.

There was a moment of hesitation between us. The captain smiled evilly. "You pirates. We will cut you all down and hang you from our masts."

I grinned as I twirled my sword. "You're going to have to catch me first."

He roared as he charged, his sword held high. I went low. I swung my blade with force at his legs. He wailed in agony as I separated his shins from his ankles. He fell to the deck, screaming, holding his bleeding severed legs.

I rolled my eyes as I strolled to him. I picked up a deceased crew mate's flintlock. "Shut up." I fired at his head. He screamed no more, and I tossed the flintlock away.

"Brutal today, are we?" He appeared next to me, the crew surrounding him.

I glared at him. "He wasn't a nice man."

He grinned. "I guess not." He turned to the men. "Plunder the ship! Take anything you can find!"

The crew bellowed in approval and left to scavenge the supplies on deck and below.

He crossed his arms as he looked around. "What do you think? Should we send it back to Havana?"

"Thatch should be able to find a use for it."

"We can use the supplies here to fix up the Empress." He stared at his ship. "She needs an upgrade."

I smirked. "Aye, Captain."

He rolled his eyes. "Nice try, Andi."

I cleared my throat and he shrugged in mock apology. "Oh. My apologies, Angelina."

"Thank you, Captain Ethan."

He beamed. "I like Ethan better anyway."

I mimicked his stance. "You can chose whatever name you want. You're always going to be Eilian to me."

❈Author's Note: Hey, there! If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a quick vote! Thanks for reading!

Author's Note: Hey, there! If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a quick vote! Thanks for reading!

❈Author's Note: Hey, there! If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a quick vote! Thanks for reading!