To The End of The Line

Sam dropped me off at the landing strip of the last Helicarrier, folding his wings to walk beside me

"You know, you're a lot heavier than you look," Sam scoffed.

"I had a big breakfast," I replied.

"Guys!" I whipped my attention to Andi running towards us. "He's here! Bucky, he's—"

She never got to finish her sentence. As fast as lightning, Bucky's metal fingers wrapped around her neck and he tossed her over his shoulder. She slammed into a box of cargo.

Before I could act, Bucky shoulder-charged into me, sending me over the side of the Helicarrier. I tumbled through the air, and landed on the back thrusters. I didn't have any grip as I slid down the side. My fingers dragged along the surface, struggling to find something to hold onto. Finally, they grasped the corner of the thrusters.

"Cap! Cap, come in!" Sam fretted. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm here!" I groaned as I pulled myself into a groove on the side. Two more were above me. I could climb them and reached the targeting station above. "I'm still on the Helicarrier. Where are you?"

"I'm grounded. The suit's down." He sighed in disappointment. "Sorry, Cap."

"Don't worry. I got it!"

I climbed the grooves and pulled myself up on top of the thrusters. The opening to the targeting station was right ahead. I had little time left. The final target blade was hidden in one of the pouches of my belt. It was time to end this.

I ran through the entrance and climbed the ladder to the catwalk. I ran halfway.

My breath hitched. I was face to face with Bucky.

He wasn't the Bucky that I grew up with. He wasn't the Bucky that I'd fought beside. He wasn't the Bucky that I called my best friend. His exterior was cold and steely, an expression like stone. He'd been brainwashed. But the look he gave me on the bridge after our first fight...Bucky was still in there. I knew he was. And I was going to get him back.

"People are gonna die, Buck. I can't let that happen."

He showed no signs of even considering my words. He just simply glared back at me in silence.