Standoff

All efforts and resources were put into finding Ultron

All efforts and resources were put into finding Ultron. The rebuilding and refurnishing of Avengers Tower was put on the backburner. Even with Tony complaining about the importance of his — and I quote — "very expensive" furniture, Thor's death stare and slightly raised hammer made him change his mind as quickly as he opened his mouth.

We'd spent all night and the next day hunting for Ultron. With his tracks gone cold, we were relying on intel and witness accounts to lead us to the robot.

"He's all over the globe," Hill informed me as we walked out of the elevator and ascended the stairs to Tony's office above. "Robotics labs, jet propulsion labs, weapons facilities. Reports of a metal man, or men, coming in and emptying the place."

"Fatalities?"

"Only when engaged. Mostly guys left in a fugue state going on about old memories, worst fears, and something too fast to see."

"The Maximoffs," I concluded. "Well, that makes sense he'd go to them. They have someone in common."

"Not anymore." Hill handed me her tablet. I was faced with a picture of Baron Von Strucker. He was dead. He lay propped up against the wall on his bed. Looked like a fatal wound to the heart. PEACE was written in blood above him. These kids weren't joking around.

We continued up the stairs to Tony's office nearby.

"Negative. I answer to you." I heard Barton's voice as I passed by. He was on the phone. "Yes, ma'am."

"Barton," I called. "We might have something."

"Gotta go," he said into the phone before hanging up.

"Who was that?"

"Girlfriend."

I shrugged before making my way to the office with him in tow.

Everyone was congregated inside, surrounding Natasha clacking away at the computer. Andi was on the floor away from them, her legs crossed and eyes closed. It looked like she was meditating. I didn't want to disturb her, so I let her be.

I handed Thor the tablet with Strucker's grim photo on it. He glared at it hatefully.

Tony appeared next to Nat. "What's this?"