He Is Coming

It had been six months since the fall of S

It had been six months since the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D; HYDRA's destruction had left many scars that were still quite raw. I tried to keep in contact with Steve as much as I could, but it was hard to do that jumping from time periods.

I'd spent the last six months searching for the last Shard. Our deduction, unfortunately, was incorrect. I'd searched every nook and cranny for that bloody piece of gold in 2012 with no luck in finding it.

I was enraged with myself. I was more so furious with Eilian. If he'd told me where the last location was—where they'd all been—I would've been on my way to stop Eon there and then. But, no. As usual, he liked to keep everything to himself. And that helped absolutely nobody. It made my job more complicated than it should be, and that infuriated me.

Back in my apartment in 2014, I collapsed into my chair. I hadn't sat in it for a very long time. The last time I did it was when Eilian had come to me for the last time. Now that I'd begun to move on, I wasn't so unsure about sitting in it anymore.

And then I heard a thump. My heart beat skyrocketed as shivers pelted down my spine. What the hell was that?

My senses snapped to survival mode. I dashed to every room of my apartment and switched off every light. I was in the dark.

I heard another thump, and the hair on my arms bristled. It came from above me. I frowned. But I was on the top floor of the building. Something was on the roof. Something was on the roof.

Questions tumbled over each other in my mind: what was it? Was it dangerous? Should I go up there and check it out? Should I act upon my instincts and neutralise whatever was up there to protect the other residents in the building?

I needed to get up there. I needed to check it out.

I portalled to the top of the staircase leading up to the rooftop. I warily opened the door.

Someone stood close to the edge, teetering dangerously, looking down at Times Square below. Judging from their figure, it looked like a woman, her hair flying in the brisk breeze.

I walked towards her with caution. "Hello?"

No reply.

I powered up slightly, my hands glowing golden faintly. If I needed to defend myself, I was ready. "Ma'am? Are you okay?"