Extra #1

I sat in a desk chair in the hanger, swinging around like an excited child and wheeling from left to right in complete and absolute boredom

When I volunteered to mind the Avengers Base, I didn't think it was going to be this boring. Even when Sam arrived to keep me company, I was still bored out of my mind.

I groaned as he took a seat next to me. "Want to play a game of I Spy?"

"Uh, sure."

"I spy with my little eye, something beginning with...G."

"Grass."

"Damn. You're turn."

"I spy with my little eye, something beginning with...Q."

"Quinjet."

He grinned. "I'm making it easy for you."

I chuckled. "Mmhmm. Right." I leaned my forearms on my thighs. "I spy with my little eye, something beginning with—"

An alarm blared. Sam and I shot to our feet, turning our attention to the landscape ahead of us.

"...beginning with I," I finished.

Sam frowned. "I? I don't see anything beginning with I."

"Warning!" FRIDAY, Tony's new A.I., notified. "Intruder in the vicinity."

I smirked as I sent Sam a sideward glance. "FRIDAY wins."

I rushed to the nearby computer console, switching it on to observe the security footage around the base. The video flicked from one area to another, to Tony's lab to the hanger, to the lake to the roof.

I squinted as the footage of the roof returned. "What's that?"

Sam leaned forward, also squinting. "What? I don't see anything."

"Might want to do a fly around. We could be dealing with something we can't really see."

"Right." Sam spread his wings and took off on patrol.

I pulled my chair closer to sit in front of the monitor, watching the goings on around the base. Perhaps this wasn't going to be a boring day after all. Well, I hoped so. I was in need for some fun.