Elevator Throw Down

I was glad to get out of there

I was glad to get out of there. I breathed for the first time since being in that office. Things seemed to be going wrong on all fronts. I wasn't getting out unscathed on any of them, mentally and emotionally.

I stepped into the elevator. I gripped the railing parallel to the entrance and peered out the window. I could see everything from there since it was made of glass. But I didn't enjoy the view as I usually did. I wasn't feeling it.

"Operations Control," I ordered.

"Confirmed," the elevator complied.

I didn't hear the door close.

"Keep all S.T.R.I.K.E. personnel on site," Rumlow ordered.

"Understood," a soldier replied.

"Yes, sir," said another.

 "Forensics," Rumlow ordered

"Confirmed."

"Cap."

So much for solitary for thought. I turned and looked at him politely. "Rumlow."

I clasped my hands in front of me as the doors slid shut. We were all silent as the elevator made its way to the lower floors.

"Evidence Response found some fibres on the roof they want us to see," Rumlow stated. "You want me to get the TAC team ready?"

"No, let's wait and see what it is first," I replied, not meeting his eyes.

"Right."

I noticed that the two men that walked in with Rumlow shifted from foot to foot uncomfortably, gripping their taser rods at their thighs.

The elevator doors opened for a new load of men to enter. Suspicion pricked at me. I was getting an ominous feeling. So many men to cram into one elevator. Why? I wasn't showing any signs of thinking about it, though.

"Excuse me," one of the suited men said.

I obliged, moving into the center of the elevator.

"I'm sorry about what happened with Fury," Rumlow said next to me. "What happened to him...it's messed up."