Ulterior Motive

I followed Eilian and the men down a cave-like corridor that led to the inside of the Observatory

I followed Eilian and the men down a cave-like corridor that led to the inside of the Observatory. It was a long and winding path. The dirt was weathered by years of footsteps. Light filtered through broken openings in the ceiling. The path began to change into a descending staircase. Another path was offered to us, leading upwards to a higher part of the Observatory.

"I'm going to take this route," I announced. "Just in case I need to ambush them."

"Good idea," Eilian agreed. "Be careful."

As he and the rest of the men continued to descend into the Observatory, I took the higher path, carefully picking my way up the rocky ground. It was unstable; I could feel the sensations of the path collapsing under my feet.

It led to a large ledge overlooking a cavernous room. I cautiously made my way over to it and crouched there.

Pirates combed the place, picking it apart in search of treasure. One man, Roberts, stood before a golden circular device, a box of what looked like glass vials nearby. I saw a skull in the center of the device. I'd seen a contraption like that before. It was an armillary sphere. But I'd never seen one of that size. I noticed rows of stone seats behind it. It looked to be able to seat a large number of people. It seemed like the cavern was an amphitheatre of some kind.

A man stood next to Roberts. And I scowled deeply. I knew him. 

It was Benjamin Stirling. He was a pirate from Nassau. He was an ally. The way he was getting all chummy with the enemy spoke volumes in contradiction. Too bad for him. He would share the same fate as the rest of the men in the Observatory below me for betraying Nassau.

And then the place began to shake violently. I stood and stumbled back quickly. If I'd been slower, I would've toppled over the edge.

"What is that?" Stirling growled.

"Ah, the security measures," Roberts replied in his gravelly voice.

Roberts did something to the skull, and the place suddenly stopped shaking. He'd been to the Observatory before, that was clear. He knew what he was doing, and that made me nervous.