A Road To Knowledge

I hated being left in the dark

I hated being left in the dark. Especially if it was something I was directly involved in. So if the asshole who blew up the SUV and stole my watch was involved, then so was I.

After waking up from that coma, I got out of the hospital as fast as I could. I had no idea what I was doing there or how I got there. The last thing I remembered was standing on the roof.

Anyway, I went to the nearest mall to 'borrow' some clothes when I noticed Steve and Natasha walking past. As hard as they tried to be inconspicuous, I knew it was Steve.

I glared at the two in turn, each look as deadly as the last. Natasha looked me up and down in mild shock. Steve's eyes were as wide as baseballs behind those glasses as he glanced at me in disbelief and confusion. "B-But you were in a coma."

"I woke up," I replied bitterly.

"But you got shot," Natasha added.

I squinted in annoyance. "Healing is handy." I crossed my arms. "You don't want me to ask again. I'm not having the greatest of days."

My eyes flicked to a group of suspicious-looking men clad in black splitting up. And then they lay on a familiar face.

Rumlow.

Natasha turned and saw him. She grasped Steve's and my arm and dragged us forward. I marched with the two on either side of me out of the Apple store. I still had no idea what was going on, but I got the impression that getting away from Rumlow and his men was the priority. But why?

"What is going on?" I growled through gritted teeth.

"We're on the run," Steve hissed back. "We're not safe anymore."

And then I remembered what Fury said before the accident. "S.H.I.E.L.D.'s compromised."

"We're going to Wheaton," Steve said.

I whipped my attention to him. Old memories lurked there."What?"

"I know." He looked behind him. "Standard TAC team. Two behind, two across, and two coming straight at us. If they make us, I'll engage, you two hit the south escalator to the metro."