On The Run

I ditched my uniform for clothes I could blend into crowds with

I ditched my uniform for clothes I could blend into crowds with. I was a well known figure. I was being hunted by the people I once worked alongside. I couldn't risk being discovered.

I trudged through the hospital in clothes I felt so uncomfortable in that I wouldn't be able to recognise myself in a mirror. So it was working.

I turned to the vending machine I had hidden the drive in. And my heart stopped.

It..it was gone. It was gone. But I was the only one who knew it was there!

I heard the pop of bubble gum being blown behind me. And I saw her face in the glass of the vending machine. I turned to face her with a hateful glare. As the last doctor walked past, I shoved Natasha into the nearest room and pushed her against the wall, slamming the door behind me.

"Where is it?" I demanded, pulling my hood down.

"Safe," she replied.

"Do better."

"Where did you get it?"

"Why would I tell you?"

"Fury gave it to you. Why?"

"What's on it?"

"I don't know."

I gritted my teeth and grasped her shoulders, shoving her harder into the wall. I didn't have the time or the patience to deal with her evasive personality. "Stop lying."

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers."

I quickly glanced out the door to see if anyone was watching or walked past. "I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?"

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty. Fury needed a way in, so did you."

I gripped her shoulders tighter. "I'm not gonna ask you again."

She hesitated, her eyes flicking from each of mine. "I know who killed Fury."

I frowned slightly. I didn't see that coming. I expected another smart comment. All the same, I released my grip on her shoulders. I wanted to know everything. She'd better start talking.