Revelations

We drove up a gravel road, coarse and unhealthy grass growing on either side of it

We drove up a gravel road, coarse and unhealthy grass growing on either side of it. The afternoon light caressed the abandoned complex as we pulled up to the front gate.

Andi held up the phone as she got out of the car. "This is where the file's coordinates came from." She frowned as she shoved the phone into her back pocket. "This place looks...familiar."

My eyes flicked to a sign hanging on the side of the fence. "That's because you've been here before."

She followed my gaze, and her green eyes widened. "Camp Lehigh."

I broke the lock with my shield and pushed the gates open. "Come on."

The place hadn't changed much. I recognised the hill I used to run up. I walked through the clearing where I jumped on the dud grenade. I passed the barracks where I found out I was to be the guinea pig for the Project Rebirth, the infamous Super Soldier project.

Night fell quickly as Andi and I roamed around Camp Lehigh. We walked along the perimeter of the barracks in search for a signal, Andi holding up the phone.

"This place hasn't changed much," she murmured.

My eyes caught a familiar flag pole. "It has a little."

Memories seeped through into reality. 1942 rushed into the present. Thundering boots echoed, thudding on the weathered ground.

"Pick up the pace, ladies!" a commander's voice roared. "Let's go! Let's go! Double time!"

Cadets in green with helmets and rifles marched past. The commander followed, and he turned to a stray at the back of the herd.

"Come on, Rogers, move it! Come on, fall in!"

I saw young man struggling to keep up. It was me, pre-serum. Had I really looked that scrawny? I looked so different now to that sickly kid from Brooklyn.

He looked at me. There was a moment of curiosity and astonishment.

"Rogers! I said fall in!" the commander's voice echoed.

Pre-Serum Rogers took off, and disappeared into the darkness.

"You okay?"

I faced Andi, who gazed at me with a curious expression. She examined my eyes, and then turned to where Pre-Serum Rogers ran off. She glanced at me again. She blinked. "Uh, the signal's dead." She raised her phone higher above her head. "This is a dead end. Zero heat signatures, zero waves, not even radio."