New Friend

You and a friend of yours, who happened to be a guy, decided to go grab some drinks one night since neither of you had plans-or were in relationships.

The two of you were joking around having a good time, when you saw Dylan.

Quickly, you looked away. Hoping that he wouldn't see you.

You and Dylan had broken up awhile ago and hadn't seen or talked to each other since.

You weren't quite sure you were ready to change that.

But apparently he was. Out of the corner of your eye, you see Dylan walking over towards your way.

"Hey Y/N."

"Hi Dylan," you reply shortly, hopeful that he'll leave quickly.

"Who even is this guy?" Dylan asks, leaning in to whisper in your ear.

"This is Jack. A good friend of mine."

"What? Get yourself a new boyfriend?"

"Dylan, I said he was a friend."

"Is that what you are Jack? Just a 'Friend'?"

"I believe that's what Y/N just told you."

"Look Dylan, why don't you just leave us alone?"

It's becoming evident that Dylan is drunk, Dylan is not usually this aggressive and confrontational. Maybe he thinks you're lying to him about your relationship with Jack. Is he jealous at the thought of you possibly already having moved on?

"Dylan," you say sweetly, taking his arm, "Why don't we go talk outside for a minute. It can just be us."

"Yeah, yeah, sure," he complys.

You give a curt nod to Jack, assuring him it's alright.

You walk Dylan out and find a bench to sit on.

"Dyl are you okay?"

"Are you dating that guy? Is that your new boyfriend?"

You laugh lightly at his unwavering determination for your answer. "No Dylan, I already told you. Jack and I are friends. Only friends, nothing more is going on between the two of us. I promise okay?"

"Okay," he nods.

"Are you okay? Is something else going on?"

"I just miss you. I miss you so much. I miss us."

"Dyl, you know that we weren't going to work out. I love you, and in some way I probably always will. But it's time for us to move on. You know that. That's why we broke up."

"I still love you."

"I know."

You sit in silence for a few minutes. Watching the cars go by as you hold his hand between yours-not in a romantic way, in a goodbye way.

You feel that the moment has come to its end so you stand up.

"Do you want to go back in, or do you want me to get your friend to go?"

"I'll go in. I'm just going to sit here for a little longer I think. I, probably had too much to drink so I think I just need to sit here for awhile."

"Okay, that sounds like a good idea."

You head back in, leaving Dylan at the bench. You go over to his friends to tell them where he is and that he's probably ready to go home.

They thank you. One goes out to check up on him while the others deal with the bill.

You head back over to Jack to try to enjoy the rest of your evening.

"Is everything okay?" Jack asks.

"Yeah, I think he just had too much and was feeling down. It happens to us all."