s p e c i a l c h a p t e r 0.0

Silent. Unnoticed. Cursed.

Shadows.

Silhouettes.

A silver moon.

The night was rendered in charcoal as the inkling specks filled the night. The moon was hanging low at this time with its full circle shape.

I was back in this place as I was seated on the ground, my back rested on a tree. This place was bed for a dead person—a place where my mother's remnants were being hidden on the ground.

A lonely smile was etched on my lips. I watched her name written on the gravestone. It had been years since she left.

Her death caused a great tragedy to me. I felt like I died as well. I thought . . . the life in my eyes would never bring back again.

Not until she came, the lady with a hope in her name.

I had it coming. Betting my life in a lion's den would be a dangerous game. A mafia was a place where death was lingering all the corner, where vile creatures were living.

She was one of them. I never minded her pasts and flaws, so I fell in love with her.

Her strong will to have a new life astonished me. Unlike I, soon as my mother died, lost my will to live.

I was warned about the threats about her. But I was struck whenever she smiled. Her smiles are the rarest of all, but they were priceless and precious as though the rays of colors flew and ran in every direction. She painted the blank canvas in me with the colors on her fingertips.

She was beautiful, yet poisonous.

The strange darkness of that night never left my memory. I remembered how the blood draped her whole being. I watched her how she cried, bled, and almost died. I was in the corner of her eyes, but she was not looking at me.

"Tell me, is it wrong to live . . ? This is the life that the heaven gave me, then no matter what, I need to live this kind of life, right?"

Her words were dwelling in my mind. I knew all along that she suffered more than of any of us. Yet I couldn't forgive her.

"Hey . . . do you understand? What I'm trying to say is . . . this is my only life, right? That's because . . . when I lose this existence of mine, then it's all over. I can't get it back."

I couldn't forgive her, for killing the only woman of my life—my mother. Even her, she couldn't bring the life of my mother that once was she held.

"I'm sorry," I whispered to the grave. "for loving the one who murdered you."

It was all a mistake.

I sighed heavily and closed my eyes frustratedly. Damn this.

"I knew that I would find you here." a male voice said in a hushed tone.

I eyed the man sideways. Nathan. He was here. I never said a thing, only letting him stay here. He sat beside, a meter apart.

"I apologize, Chance," he started, "about your mother."

"Should I say 'thank you'?" I retorted, sighing.

I hear Nathan collected air inside and puff it out slowly. "Neither I nor Hime knew about it."

"How come you never knew?"

"Scrutinizing her brain, I suppose." he answered with a shrug. "You knew about it. But if my parents would know such as that matter, well, I haven't asked them."