Him and Me- Thirteen.

I had never looked forward to a Wednesday more than today my whole life.

Yes, today was the day I was going to get my car back. I couldn’t wait until school was up, and I could finally have my hands on my car again and drive. It had been a while, and I surely missed it. That car was really special, and I just couldn’t wait to get my hands on it again. And now as I sat on my last class, barely listening to a word as my teacher drawled about how devastating the civil war was, I kept darting glances at the clock. Twenty minutes more until the bell. Staring at the clock with narrowed eyes as if to will the minute hand to move faster, I tapped my pen lightly against my desk. It was all very Baby One More Time, and I had to mentally cringe. Nothing against Britney Spears, but I wasn’t exactly a fan.

Still, I continued the tapping of the pen. Suddenly I wished I was like Micah from the TV show Heroes. You know, that really cute kid with curly hair who could control objects, and machines? I’d definitely instruct the clock to position its hands to read 4:00pm, and I would be out of here. Biting my lip, I sneaked a glance at the clock again and groaned quietly. Would that minute hand ever going to move? I could feel my seatmate’s eyes at me, probably giving me either an amused, or an irritated look. Turning my head slightly to meet Missy’s gaze, her amused expression met my sheepish one.

She leaned over and whispered, in that mock snotty tone of hers, “We all want the bell to ring already, Kayla. This whole thing about the civil war is getting so old.”

I stifled a laugh. Missy had always been a fun seatmate. I nodded in agreement, and with that my eyes fell to the faded black lines that were adorning my wrist. Despite rolling my eyes, there was a smile on my face as I remembered how that black marks got to my wrist in the first place. While Kyle and I were under my tree last Monday, in some weird way we started talking about bracelets. I know it was kind of random, but he initiated it by saying how his mom loved wearing bracelets. I said that I had seen a bracelet with stars on it, and I really wanted to get it just because of the stars. He laughed at that, and all of a sudden he grabbed my right wrist and started drawing stars on them, strung along with a line. Turned out he got a felt-tip pen in his pocket. I yelped slightly when I felt the cool tip of the marker touch my skin, causing the first line he drew to ran up to where the top portion of my wrist meets my palm. He looked at me with mock sternness and I rolled my eyes, as he chuckled and continued to draw, holding my wrist gently in his hand.

They were “goofy” stars, all crooked and asymmetrical, and I teased Kyle about how he had no future as an artist. He disagreed, and we had a playful argument about it. He countered that not every line must be straight and perfect in order for one to become an artist. I raised my eyebrow at that, and proceeded to examine his masterpiece. With a teasing smile on my face, I said that even a five-year old can do a better drawing than him. Kyle’s face crumpled with mock hurt, and he grabbed my wrist again, this time examining his own work. After a few minutes of staring at his warped stars, he turned to me with a sheepish expression and admitted that maybe I was right. We burst out laughing again after that.

Kyle walked me back to school before second period. We had a few minutes to spare, but I insisted that he get to his class and not walk me to mine. There was a smile on his face, but there was something about it that told me he was about to bring up something that would make me embarrassed.

“Are you sure you would be able to get to class without tripping on your own feet, though?”

There was no doubt that my face was red, since Kyle burst out laughing. I rolled my eyes as I willed my flaming cheeks to calm down, and the only thing I could come up with to mutter was shut up. He stopped laughing and said he was sorry, he just couldn’t resist. Shaking my head, I smiled and said it was okay. And really it was, there was no reason to be annoyed anyway. I then shooed him off to his next class and finally he agreed to go, and with a wave turned to the direction of his class.