Him and Me- Nineteen.

• Dedicated to Everyone who has encountered or knows someone battling the big C. God bless you.

“Mom, for the eightieth time, it wasn’t a date!”

Exasperated, I rubbed my eyes tiredly. Colby just dropped me off, and by some miracle I managed to not let my mom invite Colby inside. My lovely mother started bombarding me with questions the moment my foot stepped inside the house. The main and most repeated question of all: “How was your date?” It was getting old really.

I wondered if I pretended to pass out, would she stop with the questions?

With serious consideration of what I had just thought, my mom suddenly sighed and held her hands up in defeat.

“Fine,” she said, a tad too dramatically while raising her hands up in surrender. “I’ll stop with the questions.”

My mother brushed her hair out of her face as I looked at her with narrowed and suspicious eyes. She blinked back at me innocently and I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Sure, I was glad she had let it go, but I couldn’t help but think that she would be snooping. She would probably ask Susan or something like that. Sighing, I rubbed both hands over my face. Frankly, I was too tired to care now.

“Thank you, mom,” I said, accepting my mom’s surrender. “I’ll go rest now.”

She nodded quickly, and leaned to kiss my cheek. “Good night, sweetie.”

There would be no surprise if she would now proceed to the phone and call Susan to ask about me and Colby. I was itching to get under the warmth of my covers though, so I just went up my room. Quickly I showered and changed into my comfy shorts and oversized navy blue shirt. The shirt was worn-out and was already sporting a couple of holes along the hem, but it was so comfy I couldn’t just let go.

Snuggling in to the covers, I laid on my side and folded my arms underneath my neck. As if a movie being played back, today’s events flashed on my mind. It was truly surprising that Colby would open up and tell me something truly personal. It was like, he was trusting me already by allowing me to know details of his past, and how these events affected him. Sure, it was just a fraction of what he must’ve experienced, and I had absolutely no idea what other challenges he had faced, but it was such a big deal to me. It was probably a big deal, if not bigger, for Colby too.

Was it wrong to feel special? Because for some strange reason, I did. When he said that he had not told anyone about Sondra, I felt overwhelmed. Underneath it all though, there was a feeling of being special. Colby told me. He chose to tell me, a girl he barely knew. There was also a great sense of cowardice that I felt, since there I was thinking of ways of how to bend the truth while he went all out and told me these things.

It was all truly, very overwhelming.

I sighed and laid flat on my back, staring at the patterns of stars that fill-up my ceiling. They had always calmed me before, and as I name constellation after constellation, the calmness set it. A smile even appeared on my face as I identified Orion. My favorite.

Soon my eyes were drooping, and the stars were becoming blurry. Before my eyelids fully closed though, my phone let out a sound indicating that I had a text message. I contemplated on not reading the message anymore and just get some shut eye, but the nagger inside me kept saying it might be important. With a groan, I reached out patted my bedside table, feeling for my phone. Another message came in when I finally had a hold of it. Squinting as the bright display light hit my eyes, I opened the first message.

It was from Cynthia, saying that we would be having a dinner party before we went off our separate ways this summer. She just probably included the word dinner in it, but in reality it was just going to be a party. I dropped my chin toward my chest and scratched my head. I was no party girl. Nothing against them, but I didn’t really see much point to them. Oh, I had been in a couple of parties, but I never stayed longer than an hour.