☆1: The Zoo & Dreams☆

My day started off pretty normal considering tomorrow was my birthday. I am finally going to be a "teen"! Plus today was our highly anticipated field trip to the Zoo! It's not my first time to the zoo, but what makes it exciting is I get to go with all my friends.

Oh! I almost forgot to introduce myself! My name is Sora Li. I'm in junior high, though I do miss being in elementary sometimes. I'm just an average girl. Soon, though, I am going to be a big sister. Tomorrow I will be turning thirteen! I really can't wait for tomorrow. Now back to today's field trip.

I spaced out for a bit on the bus ride there, staring out the window. I was beginning to daydream until a flying yellow object suddenly passed my window. I wasn't expecting something to fly by so I jump back out of fear along with a panicked shout. I landed on the girl sitting next to me who happened to be one of my friends.

"Are you ok Sora?" She asks with a puzzled look on her face. I pointed out the window with my eyes closed. She takes a quick peek and giggles. "The balloons? Well, I can see why they might startle you. Someone must have released them on their way." She smiles at me reassuringly. I sat back up and looked out the window. She was right, there wasn't much except for some balloons that blew in the wind.

I must really be tired. I thought as I rubbed my eyes. I looked at my partner who continued to smile. Well if she's not scared then there's no reason for me to be either. "I can't wait to see the monkeys!" I smiled back at her. She nods in agreement. Ugh, why did I say that?! I don't really like monkeys at all! My favorite animal of all time had to be foxes but they don't have any at this Zoo. I sigh in disappointment at my thought.

"The only monkey I see is you." A voice from a few rows behind me barked out. I gritted my teeth. "Well, you didn't have to go far to see one you know. You could just look in the mirror." I knew that voice. It was the voice of my number one enemy.

"Skai Miura! If you have nothing nice to say then don't say it." Our teacher warns him. Ms. Fujimichi was my number one favorite teacher, and not only that she was very pretty. She always took my side whenever Miura was picking on me. He's a real jerk sometimes. Ms. Fujimichi told me to never pay attention to his words, that he's just upset I have more potential than he does. She knew just how to cheer me up.

"Yeah, Sora-chan. Remember he's just a boy. Boys don't know what they are saying half the time." My partner, Naomi, whispered in my ear. Though she was teasing just so she can cheer me up. She was my number one best friend. One of her aunts had to take her in when her parents were in a tragic fire that took their lives. She was very little at the time so she hardly remembers them at all. It makes me feel really bad for her, but she still manages to keep a smile on her face. We've been friends ever since she moved to Tomoeda, which was when we were six. Now we have each other's back no matter what. "Look we are getting near." She points out to the barely visible front gates of the Zoo. A few kids heard her and became excited. Now everyone was by their windows looking out.

As we got off the bus one by one, Ms. Fujimichi was holding a sign that had our class number. "Be sure to follow this sign. We need to go to our assigned picnic tables so we know where to regroup afterward. I also need to take a quick head count." She explained in a loud yet calm voice. She counted all twenty of us. "Ok now let's go to the tables." She walked and we obediently followed. I walked by her side along with Naomi and a few of our other friends. "So what animal are you all going to study for today?" Ms. Fujimichi asked while still keeping her head high.

"We were thinking the elephants." Aiko and Rei spoke at the same time. They acted like inseparable twins, though in reality they are cousins and Rei was older by a few months. They also had polar opposite personalities, but I guess that's what makes them enjoy each other's company more. The teacher handed them a blank study paper.