Stubborn

"Beer?" Jacob said walking towards you. He said we was going to talk to an old friend, yet he came back baring two glasses. I were a little too tired to argue with all the paying nonsense. A drink is a drink, right? Besides, I had be aimlessly eating the peanuts sitting on the bar, and I needed something to wash the taste down.

"Sure, thank you," I smiled.

"You're welcome," he smiles. I take a sip of the frothy beer.

"And by the way it's not always drinking and sleeping. This is just luck," he says.

"That's good, I love the work. I've been fairly inactive recently. At home I was doing some research and wasn't in the field."

"That's a shame. From what I see, field work is your forte," Jacob says, taking a large gulp out of his drink.

"Thank you. I like to think so myself. And you?"

"What about me?" he raises his brow.

"What do you like doing the most?"

"Without a doubt, field work. I hate being stuck at a desk," he smiles and I do the same. I raise my glass to him.

"Living for the fight," I say. He also raises his glass and smiles.

"Living for the fight," he repeats. He skulls his drink only to see I had done the same.

"You are a strange one, are you not?" he says standing up.

"I like to say unique, not strange," I say and he laughs. As we walk out of the bar, Jacob continues to talk.

"So, any particular reason you're so, uh-" I cut him short of embarrassment.

"Masculine?" I offer in replacement of Jacob's stuttering .

"Well not to be rude, but yes," he looks at me.

"Well I am one of five children and I'm the youngest. All of my older siblings are boys"

"Four brothers? How on earth did you manage your upbringing? I could barely stand having the one," he looks surprised. I smile at the familiar reaction and explain myself to Jacob.

"Yes, quite a shock, I know. Believe me, it was not easy having four brothers, let alone them all being older than me. My oldest brother, Desmond and myself have a seven year gap between us."

"That's incredible. I always wanted a brother, all I got was a sister, who babbles on about being a minute older all the time," he pouted and crossed his arms. I couldn't hold back my laughter.

"It seems like she's the more mature one too, by miles," I smiled.

"Who's side are you on?" he says, while getting onto the carriage. He offered his hand, but I jump up myself.

"The winning side," I say, pulling down the volume of my voice.

"I heard that," he says, eyeing me. I smile and look as if I have no idea what he is talking about. Just as Jacob picked up the reigns, a man came running towards us.

"Jacob! Wait!" he calls out. Jacob turns around to find the source of the yelling.

"Ahh, Alex. How are you?" he jumps of the carriage to greet the man. I decide to follow, being cautious to not be rude. The man was breathing heavily from running, in a suit. He was wearing a brown checkered suit, with bold thick shoes.

"Ahh, yes ah how ha are you?" he says, out of breath.

"I'm good. Are you okay?" Jacob asks, looking at the breathless man. He waits a second to catch his breath.

"I have brought an extension for your blade," he says.

"Oh, is this that thing you were babbling on about the other day?"

"Ah, yes. If you will," he held out his hand. Jacob put his arm in Alex's hand. Alex attached his contraption onto Jacob's blade.

"Thanks Alex," Jacob held up his arm to look at his new extension. He marveled at it like a child marveling at brand new toys.

"No problem. And may I ask, who is this young lady?"

"Oh I am sorry. This is (F/N) (L/N)," I held out my hand.

"Newly transferred from the American Brotherhood. It's a pleasure to meet you," his warm hand greeted mine.

"The pleasure is all mine, Miss. (L/N). Alexander Bell at your service," he responded smiling. He seems like a kind sort of man.

"We are sightseeing today I'm afraid Alex. Could we interest you in a ride home?" Jacob smiles.

"No, no but thank you anyway. I have business here today," Jacob shakes his hand and walks back to the carriage.

"Good day Mr. Bell," I say shaking his hand.

"Good day Miss. (L/N)," he says before walking away. I turn to follow Jacob. I climb up and sit next to Jacob.

"Let's head into this street, so you can procure your money." I take an envelope out of my jacket. In about ten minutes we arrive at the store.

"Go ahead, I want to have a look around this store."

"Okay," Jacob wonders around the store and I go straight towards the cashier.

"Can I convert this please?" I hand the old man the money. He disappeared momentarily and returned with the conversion. I counted all of it, just to make sure I was not being ripped off. I paid the amount due.

"And can I have a pack of the Stone Century cigars?" I ask. He looked surprised.

"For the husband?" the cashier laughed. Suddenly Jacob appeared.

"Hardly," I say, slightly annoyed at the insinuation. The man knocks the smile off his face and gets what you requested.

"Make it two boxes please," says Jacob.

"You smoke?" I look at him.

"You sound surprised. I should be the one who is surprised. A women smoking?" I wanted to be mad at him for saying that, but I couldn't be. Women didn't commonly smoke, actually it was frowned upon. Mind unchanged, I handed the cashier money for both of the packs of cigars.

"(Y/N), it's okay, let m-"

"Thank you for your business ma'am," the cashier thanks. As we walk out, Jacob puts money into my pocket.

"Thank you (Y/N), but I don't let anyone buy for me, especially women"

"That's great but I have the same philosophy," I take out the money from my pocket and put it in his hand.

"Stubborn," he says. I am quick to retort.

"Describing yourself?" I say. He tries to stay serious, but he only amounts to laughing.