Smoking in Wellness

(Y/N)

The smoke swirled around in the air, as I let it escape my mouth.

"Thanks for the smoke, Jacob" I say, eyeing the pensive man siting in the chair next to me.

"You say it like its a chore" he laughs as he lets out a wisp of smoke. I manage a smile, over the pain ravaging through my body. I take the last drag from my cigar and drop it into a small ceramic tray on my bedside table. Jacob soon follows and stubs his cigar into the small plate.

"How are you feeling?" he asks me with a face full of concern. I sense his unsavory feeling and lie it off as best as I could.

"I'm fine" I say, not sounding too convincing.

"Don't lie (Y/N)" he says, obviously spotting my deceit.

"Okay, I am in a little discomfort, but nothing I can't handle" I respond, still not telling the whole truth. Just as Jacob opens his mouth to retort my comment, a new nurse walks into my section of the ward. She takes a dark brown folder from the end of my bed, scribbling onto it. She scans her eyes of the contents of the folder and then looks up at me.

"Oh you poor thing! You had Nurse Shamer" she says with a cheery wink. I guess this is an attempt to make me laugh. I thought I would just play along as Jacob was already laughing.

"Pain from one to ten, Mrs. Frye?"she asks, looking back down at the folder. A jolt shoots through me as she addresses me. Mrs. Frye? I look over at Jacob, who throws me a complete look of guilt.

"Five?" I respond back in an indecisive tone, in doing so, earning a dangerous glare from Jacob.

"Okay, more like eight" I add. She nods and walks over to my right. She stands opposite of Jacob. She gently pressed down on my wrist and looks back at me.

"If you desire, I can give you some painkillers, completely optional"

"Yes! I mean, that would be great, thank you" I say to jumpy and too quickly. She nods and quickly leaves to get the much needed medication. I look over at Jacob playing with the buttons on his jacket. I glare at him until I summon a response from him.

"The other nurse wouldn't let me in, unless I was a direct relative of yours" he said, crimson staining his cheeks. I return he favour and let out a little smile. I decide to change the subject.

"Jacob, don't you have any work to do? I mean The Rooks can't lead themselves. And who's going to start that pub riot at 11pm?" I say, smiling. He rolls his eyes.

"I'm sure they can handle it" he says, they being the Rooks.

"I'm sure Evie isn't too impressed with me being here, let alone you wasting time here" I say, secretly hoping that he would say snoring counterproductive.

"(Y/N) I'm not leaving until you're leaving with me" he says, crossing his arms. The nurse came back soon with a small metal tray with a syringe, bowl and medical tape. She carefully attaches a needle to the syringe that was filled with yellowish clear liquid. She taps the syringe in her eyesight and brings it to my arm.

"Just a pinch" she says as she pierces my arm with the sharp needle. I flinch slightly but soon relax.

"Nurse? When will I be able to leave?" I ask. The nurse raises her eyebrow at me before cutting some medical tape and placing it on my arm.

"Well, looking at your injuries I would like to keep you here at least for tonight. If you promise to keep to strict bed rest for three days and a check up in a week, I can let you go tomorrow" she says. I look over at Jacob who nods quickly, as an urge to get me back to the train. Well home now I guess.

"Thank you Nurse, I'll be out of your hair soon" I say smiling.

"Haha. Oh and you'll start to feel drowsy soon from the medication so I would recommend just getting rested"

"Thanks Nurse" I say.

"Yeah, thanks for all you're help" Jacob added. After she left, there was a short silence.

"Jacob please tell Evie I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to become an inconvenience to the two of you, and hell, I'm here to be helping you" I say, with my words dripping with guilt. I look up at Jacob to see him shaking his head.

"You saved lives at the risk of yours. Young lives. There's nothing to be sorry about. If anything, I'm sorry I wasn't there to support you" he says, leaning back in his chair. I wonder how the children from the accident are anyway. Children. Charlotte!

"Jacob you should go back to the train. Someone's waiting for you" I say smiling. I shiver slightly as the crisp evening breeze swishes through the window and onto my skin. Jacob looks over at me with an eyebrow raised. He looks over his shoulder and back at me.

"Are you sure (Y/N)?" he asks. I roll my eyes and nod.

"I'm not a little girl, Jacob. But you've got someone waiting who is" I say. He stands up and kisses my forehead. I feel my cheeks burn up at his sudden action. For a moment I felt his soft breathing on my face and his nose brush against my cheek. After he stands back up, he takes off his coat and lays it over me. Why was he giving me his coat?

"Don't be silly Jacob. It's a long way to the station and it's cold outside"

"I'm not the one who's shivering" he smirks back at me. I roll my eyes once more and nod.

"Oh and here. I bought these for you" he pulls out a brand new box of cigars from
his pocket and puts them on the table next to me. He then reaches into his pants pocket and pulls out his lighter and puts it onto of the box.

"Jacob!"

"Consider it as a get well present" he said looking too happy with himself. I open my mouth to respond but he dashed out of the room like a child in trouble. I shake my head and laugh as his behaviour. I look at the table next to me. I reach my hand out and pick up the lighter and new smokes.

"Well, they are for me" I say, lighting one up.

--