Another Day, Another Bed?

I woke to the sound of a train's horn, blaring in an unusual distance, rather than directly above me. I open my eyes, only to be greeted with the brutality of the sun. Once my eyes had adjusted, I looked around the room to find it completely station, which meant I wasn't on the train. The room was deceptively large, with every wall covered in books and all kinds of expensive objects of curiosity.  The corers of the bookshelves were covered with various jackets and throws. To the right near the the door, a simple wooden chest sat, presumably filled with clothes. Directly in front of the bed where I was situated, was another door. As I looked around, I heard faint voices conversing below, along with the bustling of metal. 

The thick wool blanket that currently hung over my shoulders seem to have been covering my bare skin, with a slight draft setting in from an ajar window to the left. My arms shivered slightly, which instigated the search for my baron clothes. I found my pants and jacket hanging by the side of the window that lay askew. The rest of my belongings were pooled together on an armchair which was next to a table that was covered in bank details and accounts, rolled in parchment. I ventured from the bed, my feet landing on the unfeeling wooden floors. The blanket clung to me, or rather I clung to it, as to not expose my bare skin to the cool, dusty air. I reached for my pants first, hastily pulling them over my legs while managing to keep the blanket hoisted on my upper body. I then proceeded to dress myself with my remaining affects that were on the accounts table. As I was tightening my belt, my right arm slipped, and knocked over an open bottle of ink.   

"Shit." I mutter to myself, as I desperately attempt to soak the ink with blank piece of parchment paper. I manage to soak the spillage and contain it to only the one document. Just as I notice my ink covered hands, I hear the door bustle open behind me. 

"Yes, and good morning to you too." I quickly turn around, at a desperate attempt to hide the tragic cause of ink bled document. Danford was standing in the doorway, with a half baked smile smeared on his face. His eyes wonder from my contact, to the spilled ink.

"I'm so sorry, I tried my best to clean it up." I make reference to the mess unfolded behind me. He picked up an old rag from the bookshelf next to him, and handed it to me. 

"As I can tell." he remarks, eyeing my blackened hands. There was a distinct moment of silence, as I tried to rub away the ink that was currently clinging to my skin. I could feel Danford's eyes burning onto me. 

"Again Danford, I'm so sorry about the document, and I really should be off, I'm needed elsewhere." I bitterly lied. I have the day off, and in fact had no intentions of plans today. 

"Don't worry about it, it was an old shipping order." he said, picking up my boots off the floor. He took a seat next to me, disturbing the bed slightly. 

"Danford have you seen my compass. It is gold and emerald." I enquire, cutting the tension. The air was calm, but their was uncertainty hovering in it.

"Is that it there?" He offers, pointing his hand to the head board of the bed, and as sure as day, there was the small compass, wrapped by its chain, hanging in plain sight. I lean over and retrieve the small necessity, embarrassingly recollecting how it found it's way there. There was certainly a struggle for dominance in the past nightfall. 

"And, on account of last nights events, don't you think you should be calling me Jack. You certainly weren't shy of a first name basis last night." 

My cheeks burned, as I took the shoes and sat down on the bed. I untie the laces and slip my right foot in first. 

"Look, last night was just a bit of fun and I never wan-"

"Hold on lass. That wasn't a marriage proposal, just the request to be on a first name basis. Relax your pretty face, and think of our escapade as an escape from our day to day." he explains, leaning forward only to brush my hair aside. "I know those pair of boots were for a special gentleman friend, there's no need to panic." He whispers in addition. I let a soft laugh escape me. I think it was about time I started owning up to the fact that Jacob indeed was not just a colleague. 

"Thanks Jack." I say standing up, walking over to the door. "Consider us friends."

"I wasn't aware friends screamed each other's names like that, but I guess we'll be the exception." He exclaims, with a ego ridden smirk. I roll my eyes, and return the favour.

"Consider it a once off." I reply. 

"Oh yes, it's always a once off love. Until it isn't anymore." he laughs, haughtily adding in his remarks. 

"Well I'm afraid I will be disappointing your highest expectations Jack, as I am still pursing another."

"Why should that stop you?"

"It truly is times like these when I wish that God had chosen to bestow upon me the upmost privilege of belonging to the male species."