New Job

I sipped on the boiling hot tea to warm my throat. Winter was defiantly on a mission to spread across London faster than ever.

"(Y/N)?" I heard with a knock outside my train car.

"Come in" I respond. The opened door reveals Jacob smiling.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine" I say, I respond in absolute truth. Since leaving the medical care, I had recovered at a rapid pace. I was taking herbal supplements as strongly recommended by Evie. She said it worked miracles for her when she broke her arm. Of course, Jacob on the contrary, dismissed it as a severe case of bullshit.

"That's good to hear" he added. There was a small silence after that before Jacob decided to break it.

"I actually came here to talk to you about another job, if you're feeling up to it" Jacob says. Another job, eh?

"Yes. I'm definitely ready to get back into the field. It's been too long"

"Only if you're able"

"Jacob! Stop fussing, I'm fine. Now, what's the job?"

"It actually involves Charlotte's father" Oh, that pathetic man.

"He's been seen with men who have been selling Opium in the poorer side of town, where doctors are scarce. I'm pretty sure this is the last Opium ring we have to bust, or the last major one anyway"

"So, how'd you find about his involvement? I mean I had suspected that he was involved in some sort of illegal activity but I couldn't be sure"

"Well, I don't know if he's directly selling Opium, but I saw him talking to Mathew Corener, who is as you know, a huge Opium dealer. Corener was questioned by the police a few months ago, which is why I left this case alone, however last week I found out that Corener had blamed it on another man and had evidence planted at his house, so the police arrested him"

"I see, are we going to get Corener?" I ask.

"No, not yet. We have to tail Charlotte's father and find out more details about him and see if he is selling. After that. Hopefully he will lead us to Corener. After gathering evidence on Corener, we can take him out" Jacob explains. I let a small smirk creep to my face.

"Do we have any other names?"

"Not yet. I'm hoping we will find some today. I want to figure some way to stage them in front of the police, so they can arrest them and get them out of the way"

"Ok, do you know any numbers?"

"I think there are roughly 30 people here in London, involved in this ring"

"Woah as much as that?" I say. Jacob shoots me a weird look.

"Are you sure you're okay to go (Y/N)? I can do this on my own"

"No. I'm ready for this" Just at that moment, I see Charlotte standing in the doorway.

"Hey Charlotte" I say. She smiles and walks over to us. She climbs on top of Jacob, who was sitting on the edge of my bed and plops herself in between us.

"Hey, Agnes made me a strawberry tart. Isn't that nice?" she says, very grateful for the sweet.

"Do you and Jacob want to play cards with me?" she says, very excited.

"Sorry Charlotte, we have to uh, go to work soon. Maybe later?" I say, trying not to mention anything about her father. She doesn't seem too disappointed.

"Hey, if you want you can play with my old toy soldiers, if I can find them. And when we come back, we can play cards"

"Yes, please!" she says, jumping into Jacob's lap.

"Haha, okay then. Let's go find them" Jacob says picking up.

"We'll leave in half an hour. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be ready" I reply.

"Bye, (Y/N)!" Charlotte yells.

"Bye sweetie" I respond, as I see them leave the room. 'Sweetie'? I hope I'm not getting attached. After all we need to find her somewhere to live with a mom and dad, not on a hideout train with three assassins. I quickly drink the rest of my tea and set the cup on my small bedside table. I get off my bed, feeling a slight sting on my stomach. I brush it off and walk over to my wardrobe. I open it and see my dark violet uniform looking like new. Agnes must have cleaned it, sweet woman. I slip on my undershirt that was still slightly too big. I run my fingers over my stitches and see them in the reflection of the window. I sigh and button up my undershirt. I leave the top three buttons and put on my dark brown slacks. I pull my boots from underneath my bed and sink my feet into them. I feel something sharp touch my right foot. I reach my hand into the shoe and pick out a large piece of broken glass. I leave it on the table and lace up my boots. I get my hidden blade and put it on, along with my grappling attachment and click it on top. I stand back up and put on my jacket. I tie my hair into a high tail so it wouldn't be revealing when I had to wear my hood. I walk out of my room and see myself in the gold plated mirror on the wall. I spin my fathers ring on my finger, looking in the reflection and sigh. Now where was Jacob?