The Unruly Lighter

The sun was melting over the bricks and mortar of London. The chilling city was transitioning into night. Jacob had been a very good tour guide as well as a teacher. He quizzed me from a high tower, as to which borough was which. I had gotten most of them correct, with the odd inconsistency. I was never a good listener but I had tried my best. Jacob and I has decided to stay at the tower until the train had arrived at Kings Cross, which was a five minute journey from our current point. I decided to take out a cigar and have a smoke, however I was at a loss as to where I had placed my lighter.

"Light?" Jacob offered, holding out his own silver lighter. I smiled and accept. He brings the lighter closer to your lips which had a comforting cigar between them. He flicks the lighter, and I feel the slight wave of warmth from the flame hit my face. I take a long drag, and let the smoke disappear into the air.

"Thank you. I don't know where I've put mine," I say smiling. Jacob smiles while lighting his own cigar. I watched the beautiful city become clouded, from my view anyway, by the used smoke. I saw the sky turning dark, and slowly the appearance of small lights below, in the buzzing city.

"Oh, I thought I would just let you know, my sister does not care for cigars, or smokers for that matter. Just avoid it on the train," he smiles cheekily. Obviously he had been already practicing the act of secrecy, or been scolded.

"Heard and understood," I say smiling. I let a long drag of smoke leave my lips. I look over at Jacob, who was distant in thought. I have been thinking about my recent move to London. I often found myself pondering that if running away from my problems was a permanent solution. Was running from your mother going to keep her away?

"We should head back, the train should be at the station soon," he says, snapping me out of my thoughts. I hadn't even realized that I was smoking the blunt part of the cigar now. I smudged it into the brick wall and threw it away. Jacob started to descend the building with his grapple, I however decided to jump into a haystack. I waited for him at the bottom. I realize that he couldn't jump, because of his injury. After he comes down, we navigate through the lively stone streets, entering into the train station. When we entered, all I could see were masses of people, and the fact that height was lacking was not useful. Jacob, on the other hand, could see perfectly fine. I follow him until we reach the railway.

"Any minute now." I barely heard him over all the noise and commotion in the area. It made sense, most people would be heading home now. I see the familiar train start to pull into the station.

"Don't bother stopping, let's get out of here!" Jacob yells at the driver. He grabs my waist abruptly, at my complete surprise and jumps into one of the carriages. We both stumble in, but with Jacob still supporting me, I manage to not to fall over.

"One question," I ask, once Jacob stands up.

"Yes?" he says, running his hand through his now disheveled hair.

"Why?" I ask, my annoyance slipping into my tone. Just before he opens mouth, we see Evie come through the carriage over. She didn't seem to be mad, but rather busy.

"Are you two doing anything? Important?" she asks, not looking up. She drops a pile of paper on the desk.

"No, absolutely not," I say, taken by her less formal behavior. I notice that my one of my boots are untied. I scan my eyes a few inches to the left and see Jacob's lighter in plain sight. I quickly bend over to pick it up and use my unruly lace as a disguise. I slip the lighter into my sleeve.

"Ok good, I need the two of you to pretend you are the 'Vetrollis' couple and attend a ball. This was you can keep Mr. Trance busy while I sneak into his office," she says, at a rather fast pace. I look at Jacob and see a slight red tinge on his cheeks, as I feel my own cheeks slightly ablaze.

"This is about the Shroud, isn't it?" Jacob questions Evie. Evie rolls her eyes, signaling that this isn't the first time this 'Shroud' has come up in conversation.

"Please! I am so close to finding it," Evie says in a state of emergency.

"Only if you say Jacob Frye is the best Frye," Jacob says childishly. In this moment you understand why Evie constantly reminds him of being a few minutes younger than herself.

"Wait, won't people realize it's not us?" I say. Evie looks at me.

"Actually this is 'their' first time in London. They are from America, which means you can talk about your home town and they will buy it," she says, enthusiastic.

"Wait, where are the people were are pretending to be?"

"Called home for 'urgent business,'" Evie flashes us a calculating smile.

"Now go! The party is in an hour. Meet me back here when you are ready," Evie continues and leaves us. I pull out the lighter from my sleeve.

"Thank you, I saw it but I didn't know what to do," Jacob says as I hand him the lighter. I walk towards my carriage and look back at Jacob, only to see his back. I close and lock the door and open the closet. I scan the contents, to find the emergency dress. It was pink. Pink. It had a tight fitted bodice that loosened at the hips and fluttered out. The top had intricate lace designs and lace sleeved. I sigh. They say beauty is pain, right?