Meet The Vetrollis'

The dress was tight. To say the least. My mother had always tried to get me to wear 'traditional' women's clothing. She always said 'looks are the key to a man's heart'. She scolded at me for wearing slacks and blouses, however father never complained. He was happy to have a daughter who preferred the sword to makeup. Or guns to suitor searching.

I realize that I can't tie the back laces on the bodice by myself. I try, bending at all unseemly angles, but to no avail. I decide to ask Evie for help. I walk out before placing some poison in my undergarment. On the contrary to my mother, my father had always said 'leaving without a weapon, is a mistake in itself'. They would remove any weapons before entrance, so you hid it well. I walk outside of the carriage to find Jacob sprawled on a couch.

"Oh, you're ready," he says. He looks up at you.

"You look-" I curtly cut him off.

"Ridiculous. Yes, I know." He laughs.

"Anyway, is Evie here?" I ask, remembering my cold, exposed back.

"Actually, no. She just left. She said that she was going to get floor plans of the building before going to the ball" he says. I mentally kick myself for taking too long.

"Shit."

"What is it?"

"Well, I needed her help."

"I can help you. What's the matter?" I feel the blood rushing to my cheeks. I decided that I would have to ask Jacob, seeing as I can't exactly walk into public like this.

"I can't reach the lacing at the back of this dress, do you think you could tie it?" I ask, looking anywhere but into the younger Frye's eyes. Now Jacob was also kicking himself, that he did not ask Evie stay around.

"I can certainly try. I am afraid I am not the most experienced," he says, trying to ease the awkwardness. I smile and nod.

"Thank you." I turn around and lift my hair out of the way. He starts at the bottom. I felt his rough fingers tracing and scrambling over my exposed skin. He tightens it.

"Ouch!" I uncontrollably let out. This came as a surprise to both Jacob and myself. I guess I'm not accustomed to wearing clothes like this.

"I am sorry! I didn't mean to-," Jacob starts to panic, with his voice riddled with guilt.

"It's okay. I guess I am just not used to the feeling," I say letting out a breath. He continues to tie, with more evident caution. I felt his masculine fingers brush against my bare skin, sending chills through my skin.

"What now?" he asks, reaching the top of the dress.

"Just tie a knot," I say. He does so and leaves the loose ties down.

"Shall we go?" he says. I nod and step off the now halted train. There was a carriage waiting for us just outside the station.

"Hello Mr and Mrs. Vetrollis" the driver says, almost sarcastically. Obviously a cover. Jacob opens the door for me.

"Thank you," I say I get in and sit on the side near the horses. Jacob sits across me. I hadn't actually noticed what he was wearing. It was a dark blue over coat with a long tail with a white shirt on the inside that was not tucked into his gravel black pants.

"Tuck your shirt in," I say. He rolls his eyes.

"That quite escaped my notice. Thank you dearest" he says, voice dripping with folly. I smile at him using his vocals to play the part. He roughly grabs the shirt and tucks it in, revealing a sliver plated belt. He had left his cane behind, just in case anyone noticed.

"Now you should do most of the talking. No one's knows you unlike me who has uh-"

"Reputation?" I fill in, cutting through his ego. His facial expressions soften.

"Yes," he says.

"How's your stomach?" My inquiry grants me a strange look from Jacob. He sighs and looks up.

"Not the best. No need to worry, I'm sure I'll be fine," he says, rushing slightly. I could tell something was off, but I decided to ignore my thoughts. Jacob moved around in his seat. He pulled out a cigar and his lighter. He looked up at me and I diverted my eyes to make sure he didn't know I was staring. He held one out to me.

"Want one? I wouldn't think you had any on you while wearing, uh, that." I laugh and take the cigar from him. He holds out the light, but seeing as the gap between us he couldn't reach. He and I both move closer. He brings the light up and looks in my eyes. I couldn't help but stare into his hazel, illuminated eyes. I caught him staring right back at me.

"Thanks," I say, as I break our eye contact. Jacob pulls out his own cigar and lights the end.

"My pleasure, my darling wife," he says smirking. I laugh and take a new drag from my cigar. I ponder on the thought of being married to Jacob for a moment. What a chaotic marriage that would be. Yet, at the same time all I could think of is how much fun it would be. Sharing cigars, running rooftops together. Coming home every day to hear him say 'Welcome home, Mrs. Jacob Frye' in a devilish voice. It would be one women's life someday. I snapped out of my institutional grade thoughts by none other than the man himself.

"Ready? Mrs. Vetrollis?" I smiled.

"Yes, dear husband of mine," he laughs and lets me out of the carriage first.

"Right, we have to find Mr. Trance and his wife. I've seen him once before so I know what he looks like. Oh there's the entrance. Take my arm," he holds out his right arm. I immediately comply and weave my left with his. He smiles at me and walks on with me.

"Invitation?" a very bored man asks us. Jacob pulls out a envelope from his jacket. The man then lets us though.

"Okay, act casual. Try to avoid conversation with anyone but the Trance couple," Jacob whispers in my ear. I see two women looking at us and talking.

"I don't know what they look like love," I nod towards the two women looking at us. Jacob leads us further up the grand entrance to get out of their view.

"Just stick with me then," he says, as he lets go of my arm, but my hand was soon embraced by his own. I look up at him, to see him blushing slightly. I squeeze his hand and walk on.

"You look awfully young to be married."