Au Revoir

Au Revoir, Goodbye 

The cobblestone house erected in front of us had an inviting and warm aura around it. The house looked from the outside to have at least two stories, with four outfacing windows. The bottom of the house was lined in small pot plants, which were carpeted in snow. The house in question was situated in the corner of two quiet colliding streets. The two streets were lined with similar stone houses, which appeared to be occupied and lit. We approached the red painted door of the house as I suddenly became aware of the tightening grip of a small hand on my palm.

"We'll meet them together," I reassured the anxious girl. With my right hand occupied, I used my other to gently knock on the door, sending three sharp knocks into the house. The three of us stood in a tense silence. 

"This is the right house?" Jacob says softly, glancing around himself. 

"This is the address on the card. I'm sure it's right," I respond, hopefully for an answered door. As if my silent wishes were answered, the door fluttered open. The opened door revealed a middle age woman, wearing a white dress with blonde dishevelled hair. Two young boys accompanied her, and a young girl also appeared moments later. 

"You must be (Y/N)? Agnes told me to expect you today." The gentle spirited woman moved to the side, gesturing for us to come inside. Charlotte clung to my arm, but the three of us pursued the invitation. 

"Yes, I'm (Y/N). You must be Mrs. Daisy?"

"Oh love, Daisy will do just fine. 'Mrs' does make me feel ever so old," she says, as she turns her attention to Charlotte. "You must be Charlotte." Charlotte forces a smile, and looks away uncomfortably. 

"Charlotte, do you like jam drops?" the younger looking boy inquires. Charlotte simply nods. "Well we better get them quickly, before Thomas eats them all. Let's go find them in the kitchen." Charlotte looks at me questioningly. I mouth 'go on'. 

"Oh yes, go on love. Otherwise you'll miss out," Daisy encourages. Charlotte looks at the young girl beside the boy, and goes with them. My eyes follow the little entourage of children out of the room. 

"Your kids are adorable Daisy," I turn my attention back to the woman in front of me. 

"Thank you dear. Trust me, you wouldn't dare say that when you see them at bed time. One does have to question the existence of a merciful lord," she says, sighing lovingly. 

"Thank you so much for what you're doing for Charlotte. We really can't than-"

"Don't be ridiculous. She will make a perfect addition to our family, and I myself remember being in her situation long ago. Someone took me in then, and now I am returning my good favour. Besides, my little Mary was longing for a sister, boys can be so trying," she says, looking back in reflection. "She will be well taken care of, I assure you both." I smile and nod. Jacob looks around the hallway, wandering out of view. 

"Shall we take tea?" she asks, guiding us both to a small drawing room to the right. We both sit opposite to her, with tea already being set on the table by a kitchen maid. 

"What are your children's names?" I ask, picking my my cup and saucer of tea. 

"Thomas is my eldest, then James and little Mary. Not very adventurous names, but my husband is very traditional with names you see. He was named after his father Thomas, and his father before him."

"Some names never go out of popularity Daisy," Jacob chimes in, adding two spoons of sugar to his tea. Daisy smiled, and I felt a lull in the conversation coming on.

"What does your husband do?" I inquire.

"He is a clock technician. He owns a small shop not far from here. Do call on him if you ever need a watch repaired," she explains.

"Thank you, we'll keep that in mind," I thank.

"Have you lived in London long?" Jacob asks, and the continue to talk as I temporarily check out of the conversation. I look around the room which was elegantly furnished, mostly with wooden pieces and the occasional gold ornament. The room was littered with photographs and paintings, most of Daisy and her family. There was a large portrait of a handsome man, who I assumed to be Daisy's husband, in the corner of the room. There were several toys and art materials laying around the floor, no doubt forgotten by their young owners.

"How long have you been married then?" Daisy's sharp question grasped me back into the conversation.

"Uh no, we're not married," Jacob responds quickly. He looks at me, crimson staining his fair skin.

"Oh sorry, do beg my pardon. Agnes made it sound like you were married," she apologizes, seeming embarrassed herself. Jacob shifted uncomfortably in his seat, touching my left arm. His touch sends electricity through my arm, sending my heart pulsing. I turned my attention back to him, and his left hand was now tightly gripped on his cane.

"Would you two like to stay for dinner?" Daisy asks, ending the uncomfortable silence.

"Thank you Daisy, but I have rounds this evening," I offer.

"As do I, maybe another time when we come to visit Charlotte," Jacob adds.

"Oh you most definitely must come and visit her. Come as often as you like, I'm sure she would be more than happy to see you."

"We will. I see she's having no problem making friends with your children," I smile, glancing at Charlotte running past with the other kids in the hallway. Their tiny feet ensured loud steps. It's high time she had company her own age.

"We should get going Daisy, thank you for the tea, and everything else. Charlotte looks more than happy already," I say smiling, slightly sad to be saying goodbye to the little angel. Jacob and I walk back towards the front door and see the children running towards us. Charlotte surfaces from behind the children. She running into my hip and embraces me tightly.

"Bye (Y/N), I'll miss you so much. Thank you for saving me," she says, quietly into my coat. I pick her up and kiss her soft cheek.

"I'll miss you too, and I'll come back to visit. I promise," I say, with every intention of keeping this promise. 

"And what about me? You won't miss me at all then?" Jacob says, feigning a fake face of hurt. I roll my eyes and hand him the small girl.

"I will miss you just as much as (Y/N), even though you aren't as pretty," she says, squeezing Jacobs neck. He smiles and whispered his goodbye to her. She appeared to whisper something back, but I was unable to hear it. The little girl detached herself from Jacob and walked towards Mary and Daisy. 

"Goodbye little one!" Jacob yells to Charlotte as we walk away from the quaint stone house. "It's going to be quiet around the train without her," Jacob says, while taking out a cigar from his jacket. He begins to search his pockets for a lighter. 

"Oh yes, back to the usual silence of drunken Rooks and train whistles."

"Okay, it will be less loud without her," he responds, his voice slightly muffled from the cigar hanging from his lips. I dive my right hand into my pocket and pull out my lighter. I offer him the lighter. He turns his face to me and looks towards me and then his cigar, with a smirk slapped across his face. I roll my eyes once more and crack a smile. I flick the lighter and flame the end of the cigar. He look directly at me, and I pull the lighter away. He inhales deeply and releases the smoke. 

"So, we spent this afternoon talking about someone else," he says. He stops walking and faces me.

"Mmhmm?"

"So, now we have to talk about us."