Love is Not a Light Term

"Sir, I assure you she just needs basic stitching! She'll be fine"

"NO! You don't know what you're doing"

"We are professionals sir. Please leave us to it" she says to me. Bullshit. They don't know what they're doing.

"You couldn't do it the first time, you'll do it wrong again" I rudely added, but being beyond the point of caring, I deny any guilt on my part. I sigh and angrily push my self into a seat. The nurse walks away, obviously frustrated with my behavior. I look at the ground and feel my anger running through my body. If I had just been there. If I had just moved faster, we wouldn't even be here. Maybe Evie is right. She always lectures me about being more careful and I always respond with 'no fight, no glory'. But what if that changes when you add another person into the equation. Another person that I care for. Just like a omen, I see non other than my twin opening the waiting room door.

"Miss? This medical house is for sick onl-

"JACOB FRYE! OUTSIDE NOW" she yells at me. She furiously makes her departure with her cape ruffling in haste. I hesitantly stand up and walk towards the door. I couldn't help but notice the awkward expression on the nurses face. I wrap my hand around the doorknob and return outside in what seemed like days. Instead of the dark, eerie morning I had witnessed previously, my eyes were flashed with killer rays of burning sunlight. I am immediately pushed out of the trance with a sharp punch on the shoulder.

"Ow! Evie!" I retort at the numbing pain on my limb.

"Why is she injured? What did I tell you?" Evie says, obviously not impressed.

"I was too late!" I say, feeling the weight heavy on my shoulders. Evie shakes her head and looks away.

"So she saved eleven children?" she says, turning around to face me.

"Yes, quite an achievement, no?" I say, letting a small smile work its way onto my face. My mind had been so preoccupied with how injured (Y/N) is, I forgot what she had accomplished. She really is brave, and she did it for people, children who she doesn't even know. She really was raised as a true Assassin.

"What's her condition?" Evie adds.

"The nurse said she's stable. She looks rather bruised" As I say this, Evie shakes her head and weighs down on my guilt. Evie turns her body around to face me. I run my hand through my damp hair.

"What's that?" Evie says, uncrossing her arms. I furrow my eyebrow and look down at my short, quizzical sister.

"What?"

"On your hand" she frowns and grabs my arm, pulling me slightly forward. She examines my hands and widens her eyes.

"Why are you still wearing it?" she says, with her hands on my ring. I swallow and look away.

"I don't know. I guess I just, I -" I stumble. Evie raises her eyebrow. She then suddenly drops her mouth and hushes her voice.

"You're becoming attached!" she says. I quickly try to find a response which ultimately fails.

"No! I am not att- no!"

"You are! Remember what father said-"

"Yes! I know. 'Love distracts from the Brotherhood'"

"Then what are you doing?!"

"Nothing! I don't have feelings of love toward (Y/N)! And by the way, not everything father said has to dictate our lives!"

"Jacob! You're defending a random girl over our father!"

"She's not random! And father is dead, Evie! You need to accept that!" I almost regret what I say. Almost. Evie looks down and back at me.

"I've made my peace with what has happened, Jacob" Evie said. She never said the word 'died' or 'death'. I think that would make it all too real.

"Then what are we even taking about?" I harshly say.

"You are in love with her!" she says, raising her voice.

"No I'm not! And even if I am, why does it matter?!" I add, only to realize what I had said.

"Because you're an idiot as it is! How am I going to deal with a love struck fool with a gun?"

"I'm just as capable as you! I didn't say anything about you and your lover Greeny!"

"He's a - a" Evie nervously spits out.

"He's a what?" I push.

"Colleague! And don't turn this on me! This is about you being head over for (Y/N)! A girl in the brotherhood!" she retorts.

"So what if I do like her? Love her? It doesn't mean that I will lose focus!" I spit out. Having had enough of Evie's accusations, weather they are true or not, I leave her behind and go back into the waiting room, only to be confronted by a nurse.

"Sir, you are called Jacob?"

"Yes, why?" I ask, looking curiously at the nurse.

"Ms. (Y/N) has been asking for you. Please come though" she walks towards the room, with me quickly trailing behind her. I see (Y/N) weakly half siting in bed. I move to her side and look at her barley open eyes.

"Jacob?" she says, in a frail and damaged voice. I sigh and put my hand on top of hers. Her hand shivers slightly at my touch. Her eyes were dark, full of pain. Her hair fell messily onto the while pillow behind her head. Her scars and bruises seemed to be out matched by her painfully beautiful eyes. Her lips, although slightly swollen, still represented a soft pink shade.

"Jacob?" she repeats, in a stronger voice.

"Sorry. My attention is all yours (Y/N)" I say, with a smile on my face.

"Can we have that smoke now?"