Spare the Lambs

"Don't worry Jacob, I'll watch the lass," Agnes exclaimed. I sigh in relief and look at Jacob who was also expressing relief.

"Thank you so much Agnes, we really had no one else to turn to," Jacob says. At least Charlotte will be living in safety until we can find her somewhere permanent  to go. Jacob smiled and nodded at me. The train was halting at a station when loud footsteps echoed their way to us, from multiple people. I rest my hand over my gun, and I see Jacob walking forward with caution. It was a relief to see three large men in green appear.

"Jacob! There's been a row at The Strand. It's causing a real noise," one of the young men explain, grasping for air. If I remember correctly, The Strand is only five minutes from here by horse. Jacob runs behind the man and I follow him. Just before we leave the train, I look up at Agnes. She nods and gestures me away. We run though the station, disorienting a few begrudged people before we approach a carriage. We scramble to get inside, and the crack of a whip radiates through the air before I can close the door.

"So, what's going on?" I say, looking at yet another Rook sitting across me. He looks up at me and enlightens us.

"Starrick ordered an attack on a small medical facility and we were nearby so we intervened. More Templars arrived and we quickly became outnumbered. They just kept coming," he rushed. I frown at his disclosure and furrow my brow.

"Very well," Jacob responds. I look out the window and sigh. Why attack a medical facility? Where is the benefit? We abruptly stop and get out of the carriage. I was immediately confronted by a scene that could only be described in one diagnosis. Chaos. But upon closer observation I realized that this was likely a ward for children. My heart immediately felt like an anchor to sea. I notice the rest of my company had already joined the intervention. I yell at the driver so he could hear me over the gun warfare around us.

"Stay here! I need to you take the children away from here." He nods.

"I can take them to the safe house," he yells in return. I turn away from the driver and quickly make my way towards the collapsing building. I pass a few stray bullets on my way and fire a few as well. Within meters of the building, I realized that it was in fact on fire, and crumbling at its foundations. I swallowed hard and ran straight into the fire.

"I'm here to help you! Yell out to me if you can hear me. Hello?" I scream, attempting to battle the commotion. After a moment I get a response.

"Here!" I hear a terrified voice yell out. I run into a small room to my left, only to find the door closed. I touch the handle of the door briefly, and urgently retract my hand from the burning sensation.

"Stand away from the door, okay?" I wait for a moment and kick the door in. I see two older boys and a crying toddler. I grasp the toddler into my arms and tell the boys to hold hands. I grab one of them and rush out of the building, avoiding any collision with Templars. I return to the driver and push the children into the carriage. After I tell them to stay put, I converse with the driver once more.

"There's still more. Keep a watchful eye," I say, rather urgently.

"Yes miss." He jumps down and stands in front of the door. I act with haste and return to the building.

"Yell to me kids!" I yell out. Nothing. I run up the stairs after doing a brisk search of the first floor. I hear loud crying coming from a room on my right. I rush in to see a man holding a gun to a young girl's head, who seemed to be the one who was crying. I notice that there five other children behind the girl. I cut the man's shoulder with my hidden blade, purposely hitting a large vein. His gun falls to the floor, and I kick it away, out of the room. He attempts to hit me with his uninjured arm, which I avoid, and I ensure he stays on the ground. The sound of another gun fires into the air and as I return my attention to the man on the floor, he lets out a hideous laugh with another gun in his hand. The pain washes over me in an instant measure. I grasp my thigh and fall to my knees, hitting them against the hard wood floors.

"Son of a bitch!" I pull out my gun, and shoot the man in his face, his last actions in the world remaining as a laugh. I take his jacket and tear the sleeve off. I tie it with pressure around my thigh, to slow down the blood loss. The children are suddenly brought back to my attention and I grab the two youngest in my arms, placing my jacket over their faces to shield them from the what seems like an endless flow of smoke and instruct the rest of them so walk in front of me in case of any other Templars. I guide them down the stairs. The four children walking make it down the stairs and into the arms of Rook men. Just as I follow suit the staircase collapses. The children scream and cry in fear. The Rooks take the children away and one of them extend their arm out to me.

"No! You need to get them to a carriage on the side of the building. Go!" I dictate harshly. The two men look at each other, coughing from the smoke that has begun to plague the diminishing building. The bullet situated my thigh seems to send new waves of pain through my lower body with every movement I make.

"But the staircase is about to collapse. You need to-" I cut the poor man off. He just wants to help me, but there is a different priority in my mind.

"NOW!" I yell. They run off with the children. As the smoke begins to thicken, I start coughing, accidently ingesting stray ash. Through hazy vision, I soon see Jacob at the threshold of the room below me.

"What happened? Are you hurt?"

"Shot in the thigh," I respond, unable to explain further.

"(Y/N)! You need to jump. You need to jump now (Y/N)!" he urges, in a state of panic. I look down hesitantly at gap between myself and Jacob.

"Take the children, they need to get away from the fire," I slowly lower the children into his arms. As I lower the last child down, I pull my leg against a nail in the floor, causing my compromise of a bandage off my thigh. I wince sharply in pain and Jacob gives me a hard look as he passes them off to other men who then rush them out of the building. Jacob turns back to me and pleads with me.

"(Y/N) come on! I'll catch you! I will always be here to catch you!" he yells at me. I feel the wooding underneath my feet beginning to give way. I look around at the remaining scaffolding to find something to hold on to but between the fracturing building and heavy smoke I fail to do so. Attempting to save my though, I fall back first straight into the bottom floor ground. The shock of the pain prevents me from making any noise, rendering me paralyzed. I feel my head absorbing the shock of the fall, causing a splitting pain. I shut my eyes and only remember Jacob calling my name.