Cheap and Illegal

(Y/N)

"America?"

"It seems so."

"I knew his operations were large but to manifest to another country." Evie remarked in disbelief.

"We think he's sourced a supplier, who has managed to secure a large scale factory and a large cohort of employees to produce the illegal medicines, while keeping costs minimized, to ensure a cheap product." I say, voicing my concerns. 

"And while the medicine may be cheap, that is all the more reason to be alarmed for a higher poison rate" Jacob adds on, only adding uneasiness to Evie's face. Why America?

"We need to find out more about this supplier that Corener has captured and preferably destroy the illegal goods before they reach England. The people's health cannot survive another wave of bad medicine." Evie explained.

'So we have to go to America?' Jacob yelps, with an undeniable excitement in his voice. Even though the situation was dire, one thing was still true. Jacob Frye loved a challenge.

"Not yet. Hopefully with some prying we may be able to recover information about Corener and we may be able to equip our friends in one of the American brotherhoods, for information and support." Evie says sternly.

"Evie, no offence intended, but this is a time sensitive situation. Coroner and his men will be leaving for America in less than two weeks." I interject.

"Oh I see. Than we have to attack at the source"

"If we want to avoid a epidemic of sickness, then yes. The drugs will need to be intercepted before they reach England." I confirm. Jacob looks at me, anticipation seeping from his eyes.

"That does still leave the question of how exactly you're going to destroy the medicine. If you try to burn it, it could release toxins in the air. If you dump it in a water way, we could end up effecting more people, possibly causing deaths" Evie explained. She was right. How exactly will we dispose of the waste? It's not like we can just use the stuff.

"Why don't we follow Coroner's associates tomorrow? We overheard that some of them will be arrived tonight from America, to discuss financial gain." Jacob intervened. More listening? The sense of urgency just doesn't seem to be here however, the situation is time sensitive and the quicker we can find out what exactly is going on, the better.

"Sounds like a good idea, for once" Evie retorted, smirking at her brother. Jacob scoffs, just as the train slows down, with a blast of a high pitched ring.

"I've got rounds, and as I can recall, so do you" Jacob gestured at Evie. She picked up her jacket and jumped off the train onto the platform.

"I'll see you later (Y/N)" he said smiling softly at me. I gather a smile in return and keep my eyes on him, slowly disappearing into the heaps of people around the station. I gaze out onto the platform for a moment longer, until I feel a gentle tug at my coat. I look down, to see Charlotte yawing with her free hand rubbing her left eye. 

"Hey, what are you doing up?" I say softly, picking her up slowly. She lolls her head onto my shoulder. I turn around to walk towards my carriage.

"I can't go back to sleep." she said in a fatigued voice. Her eyes fluttered open and shut again. I continue to walk, being careful not to trip on various boxed and chair legs. It's a wonder any of it stays in place. As if on mark, the train begins to take off from the station, leaving behind the general murmur of London. I slide open the door to the compartment in front of me, and walk straight to the bed. I carefully plop Charlotte onto the bed, and she shifts around, moving her head on the pillow. I pulled a nearby blanket over her petite body, and she smiled as she drifted off into a sleep. I only noticed now that there was a plate with bread and some sort of stew sitting on my desk. I look at the food, which is still steaming. There is a note on the plate, written in delicate handwriting. 'Lamb and Kidney'. I smile at the prospect of one of the cooks leaving the note for me. I tear a piece of the bread, and dip it into the warm liquid. The salty taste leaves a pleasant sting on my tongue. I finish the stew, quicker than a woman should. Than anyone should. I take the dishes and leave the cabin, making sure to close the door behind me. I walk through the various cabins, on a mission to find the cook. I pass through Jacob's 'section', or more accurately, his long seti and desk. I notice something shining on his desk. I look over the endless piles of paper and junk on his desk, just to see two gold rings and one diamond one. I smile at the fond memories of that night. It almost felt real for a moment there. Maybe a little too real. 

"Did you make this stew? I found it on my desk" I ask her, gently tapping her shoulder.

"Why yes I did Ma'am. Was there something the matter with it?" she asked, looking concerned. I hope I'm not scaring her.

"No! Nothing at all. I wanted to thank you, it was delicious" I say, holding the now empty bowl and plate.

"Oh, thanks?" she said, uncertainly. 

"Did you want me to put this somewhere?" I gesture towards the dishes.

"I can take that" she says with a small smile. I hand over the clattering dishes.

"Thank you. What's your name?"

"Catherine Wales. I'm one of the cooks"

"I'm (F/N) (L/N)" I reply outstreaching my hand. She cautiously takes it, and shakes it without much vigor.

"I'll see you around Ms. (L/N). I have to get off here to wash some clothes" she states, looking at the nearest door. 

"Would you like some help?"