The Night They Were The Vetrollis'

The night (Y/N) and Jacob were parading as the married couple, the Vetrollis'

Jacob

"I think we can leave now Jacob. It looks like Evie found what she needed."

"We can't leave yet. People aren't leaving yet, and we might look suspicious if anyone notices that Evie has taken off with one of their most valuable belongings," I insisted. I lean my left arm on a white varnished mantle, with a gin and tonic nestled in my left hand. (Y/N) sat idly by in a gold trimmed chair, grasping white wine. We both smile at people passing by, occasionally coupled with the odd exchange of 'hello's or names. Some people commented on the house, and how illustrious it was, and it was. It was grand to be sure, with every inch of the house lined in white, adorned with exotic and extravagant features. I overhead someone say that the fireplace along was worth an arm and a leg in itself.

"I suppose it's better to stay safe rather than sorry. How long do these parties normally go for? This dress is beginning to restrict my breathing," (Y/N) says, shuffling slightly in her seat.

"Believe it or not (Y/N), this isn't my usual hang out."

"I never would have guessed Jacob. Honestly, I would've thought you'd be deliriously drunk by now," she says, laughing. I smirk, and look away.

"Just because I appear to be a raging alcoholic, doesn't mean that I can't play the role of handsome, considerate gentleman from time to time." I earn a dramatized eye roll from my wife. I see her about to say something, as someone approaches us.

"Could I entice your wife to a dance?" he asks me. I take my drink to my lips, and finish it. I look over at (Y/N), who is desperately attempting to telepathically convey to me how much she does not want to dance with this man. I smile and turn back to the man.

"I won't stop you, that is, if she'll take you."

"May I?" he asks, offering his hand to (Y/N). She only smiles, accepting his hand. She stands up and links arms with him. As they walk towards the other dancing couples, she turns back to me mouthing a very distinctive 'help'.

"You'll be fine," I say, knowing full well she is out of earshot. I watch her clumsily follow his lead, earning a laugh from the well dressed man. I had no idea who he was, probably some sort of business man. He wore a long grey tailcoat, accompanied with brown trousers. His white shirt was glittered with gold buttons, and contrasted with his black hair. He could have been younger than me. I watched him exchange a laugh with (Y/N), as she stepped on his foot again. I felt a sudden pang of dull pain in my chest, followed by the numbing of my hands, as I coiled them into a fist. As I consciously realize what I'm doing, I loosen my hands, and raise my glass to a nearby waiter. He nods at me, and wanders away. He returns shortly, as does (Y/N).

"So, how was the dance?"

"We have to kill him."

"He can't have been that bad."

"No, Jacob. He's a large Opium manufacturer, and I saw his name in some of Evie's notes, and there's a target on his head in the Order."

"Who is he?"

"Markus Delfort. You might not recognize him, as he mainly has his men do his dirty work."

"Delfort? We've been after him for months now!" I say, standing upright.

"Wait," she says, pushing my arm back. She nods her head forward, gesturing for me to follow her. She leads me through the sea of people, and we stop in a deserted hallway.

"So, he's told me to meet with him in a room upstairs, seventh from the right staircase in half an hour."

"He wants to sleep with my wife!"

"Jacob, focus! If we go to the room now, you can hide somewhere in the room and kill him when you get the chance. I was considering doing it by myself, but I don't have any weapons and we need to kill him without anyone noticing a struggle."

"And you think this will work?" I question her. He may look stupid, but I doubt the leader of a major operation is completely clueless.

"I will keep him distracted, and you take the chance when you can," she assures me. Quickly looking around for anyone by standing, (Y/N) leads us to the room in question. We cautioned our way up the grand staircase, approaching the room door. (Y/N) opened the unlocked door, and we entered the room. It was fairly large, with multiple cupboards and chests. There was a large bed in the center of the room, lined with red and gold silk.

"Look at this," (Y/N) calls me over to the corner of the room, behind a wide, white screen, painted with cherry blossoms. There was a basin and an empty porcelain bath.

"Will you fit in here?" she said, examining the spotless bath.

"You want me to hide in here?"

"It's perfect, providing that you actually fit in here."

"Of course I can fit," I say, putting one of my legs into the bath. As I climb in, we both turn simultaneously to the door, where the doorknob is rustling. The rustling is followed by three sharp knocks and Delfort announcing it was him.

"Okay, ready?" (Y/N) orders, rather than asks. I nod and she rushes over to the door. I watch her through the screen, which showed slightly more than a silhouette.

"Why lock the door?" Delfort asks, discarding what I assumed to be his jacket to a dresser on his right.

"Well, I wanted any passers to know that the room was occupied," (Y/N) divulges to Delfort, as she walks closer to him. He puts his hands on her waist and turns her around. Although my view was blurred, he appeared to be running his face against (Y/N)'s neck. I cringe slightly and look down.

"Untie me."