Votre Soldat

Jacob

"There's a pub about ten minutes away up there, called the Irish Dancer. It's in walking distance, but if you can't walk I'll get a driver." I say. She shakes her head.

"I'm fine Jacob. Stop worrying." she says, flashing ivory teeth. That smile could haunt a man, God help him.

 We start walking, trying to get in and around the crowd at the train station. The station was bright and hoards of people filled every corner. After navigating through numerous people, we made it out of the station, and started to walk towards the knavish side of town. As we advanced down the street, the difference in company was making itself known. Prostitutes every which way and drunken men stumbling all over. Maybe I should've just left (Y/N) out for this one.

"(Y/N), take my arm." I hold out my arm towards her. She gives me a 'I don't need you' glare, but she puts her arm around mine anyway. She slips her fingers between mine, and at that very moment, I had never been more thankful for the dark night, as it hid my flaming cheeks.

"What are you hiding under that coat, love?" a voice calls out, snapping me out of my own thoughts. I look around for the source of the voice, to reveal a dirty, half-drunk man leaning against a brick wall. I was about to move closer to him, when I felt (Y/N) holding me in place.

"Nothing of interest to you, I'm sure." she says starting to turn away from the man. As soon as I turn my head, I hear (Y/N) make a grunting sound. I turn back around to see the man grasping her right arm.

"Hey! Let go before I-" but before I could finish, the sleazy bastard copped one to the face, straight from his victim. I look at his face, revealing a very broken nose and bloody galore.

"New toy?" I say, feeling pretty useless at this point.

"Hardly. A token of remembrance, from Paris." she says smiling, as if she is reminiscing on her time in the city of lights. I look at her hand, which is clad in gold knuckle dusters, complete with silver finishing. I pull out a handkerchief from my coat pocket, and hand it to her.

"Thank you." she says, as she wipes away the blood from her fingers. She looks up and mouths 'I'll wash it' before shoving it into her own pocket.

"Ya won't get away with dis'. This is a crime against the person." I hear coming from below us. I look down to see the rodent of a man, whining in pain.

"Watch us." I say, before kicking his face, knocking him out. (Y/N) looks down at the insufferable man and shakes her head.

"We should keep going, if we want to find Corener." she says, before turning away from the man. We continue to walk down the street. I look down at (Y/N). She's scanning her eyes all over the street, trying to find a single strand of a lead, as I should also doing as well. However I can't seems to take me eyes of the one person. She's becoming a distraction. A beautiful distraction.

"There's Charlotte's father! That pig!" she barely whispers. I look across the street to see the wretched man, in the company of a 'woman of the night'. He also appeared to be drunk however, Corener was not close by. I take a few more glances around the street incase I spot him but alas, he was no where to be found.

"Corener isn't here (Y/N)." I say, in disappointment.

"Maybe not, but do those men look familiar to you at all?" she asked me, while discreetly pointing at a window a few buildings away. The dimly illuminated window, revealed talking people from a distance.

"Maybe. We have to get closer, but we have to avoid Charlotte's father" I say, as I look at the drunken man, stumbling to the ground. I look around. I see (Y/N), already moving, going towards the street. 

"Are you crazy?" I mouth to her. She asking to be seen. 

"Trust me" she mouths back. Before I had the chance to respond with any type of disagreement. A carriage comes down the street, shining two lights with it. She jumps onto the side door. 

"Hurry!" she mouths along with a firm hand gesture. Without thinking, I take her orders, like a lowly soldier. I run towards the carriage and jump onto the ledge. My left foot lands on the space next to her, with my right hand holding on to the door handle for dear life.

"Did you hear that?" a unfamiliar voice says. I look at (Y/N).

"I'm quite sure it was only the road, or perhaps the horse. Please calm yourself dear."

"I'm positive that something hit the door." the woman insisted. (Y/N) points at the roof of the carriage. I climb on top of it, pulling her up once I had gotten on top. 

"It's on top of the carriage!"

"Okay dear. Driver! Stop the carriage!" The carriage slows down at the order of its patron. 

"Jump" (Y/N) says. She jumps from the carriage on to the opposite side of the road, onto some residential buildings. I stand up on the carriage and jump.