Chapter 29

I stared at myself in awe, I look way older than I really am with all of this make-up. My maid smiled at me before fixing a few things up. Once she was done I thanked her, telling her what a marvelous job she as done. Her eyes brightened up at that and she returned her thanks before silently leaving my room, leaving the door open as my parents walked in.

My mother smiled softly at me, "You look stunning." she whispered.

I smiled even more, "Thank you."

My father chuckled and held up a bag, "We got you something...didn't have enough time to wrap it."

I gently took the bag and placed it on my bed, I then looked inside. I gasped as I pulled out the set of maroon gloves. On the tops of each they were covered in silver sparkles that faded as they went down. Just like my dress' sparkles are; they're beautiful.

"Thank you!" I beamed, slipping the gloves on.

My parents grinned, "No, what about shoes?" my mother asked.

I paled, "I didn't buy any."

She pursed her lips, "Well, black heels would do."

"Actually, I believe these ones will do."

We all looked over to see Samuel walking in with a big grin on his face, in his hands was a shoe box. He glanced down at it, biting his lip nervously. He walked over to me and gave me the box before scratching the back of his neck.

"I thought I should get you something...you know...since your birthday is in two days." he whispered.

I glanced down at the box and opened it, I couldn't believe my eyes. The shoes are beautiful, they were maroon as well, but the heel was completely covered by diamonds.

"Are those real diamonds?" I murmured.

Samuel nodded, "So...do you...uh like them?"

"Of course I do! Thank you!" I exclaimed in excitement.

I pulled him and my parents into a hug before sitting down to put my heels on. However, Samuel quickly took them away and put them on himself. He then grabbed my hand and helped me to my feet, we both turned to look at my parents.

"Ready to go?" Samuel asked.

My parents smiled and nodded, their arms wrapped around each other. Samuel guided me along the halls, following my parents who were teasing each other. I chuckled quietly as my mother smacked my dad on the back of the head, telling him that there is a different between her lipstick.

"One is a darker shade." she grumbled.

My father sighed, "They look the same to me."

"Say that one more time and you'll be wearing it." my mother countered.

My father laughed and kissed her cheek, "They're the same color."

She huffed and looked away, "Asshole."

"Thank you."

She glared at the wall for a second, but the longer she did the more the smile grew on her face. She looked at my father and let out a breath, she then kissed his cheek as well.

"You are such a pain in my ass, you know that?" she quizzed.

My father shrugged, "I warned you when we first met."

"I know."

We stopped at the ballroom doors, my parents looked at me with joy in their eyes. I smiled back at them, tightening my hold on Samuel. They turned back around and told the announcer that we were all here. My heart quickened as negative thoughts raced through my mind. Would they even like me? I don't know anyone in the kingdom besides my parents and Samuel.

"Hey, relax, you'll be fine. Who couldn't like you?" he whispered down at me.

I looked up at him, "I don't know."

He chuckled and gently grabbed my jaw, "Relax." he whispered before claiming my lips.

Once we parted we focused on the doors as they swung open, my parents walked in with confidence rolling off of them in waves. I swallowed my fear and stood tall, when it was our turn I made sure I at least looked confident. My eyes widened as I saw the number of people in the room, this was way larger than Samuel's.

"Remember, take a deep breath and relax." Samuel whispered into my ear before plastering on a smile.

I bit the inside of my cheek, all I have to do is survive the night without doing something stupid. I nodded to myself, yeah, if I do that I'll be fine. We walked down the many stairs and stood beside my parents, as the ball began everyone rushed over to ask me questions. Samuel wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer, growling slightly. I looked up at him to see irritation in his eyes as they looked at each male.

I wanted to laugh, but I was too stunned to make any sound. I just smiled and greeted each person, feeling slightly uncomfortable with all of the attention. My father finally ordered them to let me be, that I'll answer their questions eventually. I let out a sigh of relief when they all backed away, except for a woman.

I studied her with curiosity, she was young and stunning. I frowned, slightly jealous of her beautiful features. Her eyes were a bright blue, her hair was as black as the night, and her skin was slightly tan. She was pretty tall, maybe a few inches taller than me, she was thin but had curves. She was wearing a beautiful midnight blue gown with long matching gloves. Her hair was curled and pinned to the side. Her eyes stayed on me for only a second before shifting towards Samuel, who tensed up beside me.

"Hello, Samuel." she greeted softly, her voice holding a pinch of lust.

I swallowed and clenched my jaw, holding myself back from attacking her. I studied her closely, she moved to touch Samuel's arm but I growled lowly. Warning her to back off of him, that he's mine. She jumped back and stared at me with wide eyes.

"Are...are you two together?" she asked.

Samuel pulled me even closer, "Yes, we are."

"Oh..." disappointment and envy flashed in her eyes, but she masked it and smiled. "Such a shame..."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "What is?"

"Oh nothing...just...Samuel promised to mate with me if his mate refused to be with him. I left to live with my father and was planning on returning next week. Seems like some people just can't wait." she tsked. "And here I thought you were in love with me and not some...mutt."

I stiffened at her words, Samuel was in love with her? He promised to mate with her once his mate left for good? Bitter thoughts entered my mind as I glared at the woman. Before I could speak Samuel was quick to growl back at her.

"That's where you are wrong, Cecilia. I was attracted to you, that was it. There were no feelings at all, only my own lustful thoughts. I was desperate and stupid back then, but Arabella...there are feelings there. I love her and not you, I'm both attracted to her and in love with her. Something I've never felt with you and I never plan on feeling with you. And how dare you disrespect her like that, she's your future Queen. She isn't some mutt, she's your Princess and my whole world. You are the mutt here, Cecilia, no one else." he spat out.

I was shocked by what he had just said, the anger was evident on him as his grip tightened on me. I brought my hand up and gently cupped his face, he leaned into my touch and sighed. He then looked at me with love and awe, I smiled back at him. I then faced the bewildered Cecilia, her eyes wide with consternation.

"Cecilia, I will not have any drama at my ball. You may go and enjoy your time, but if you say another thing to me or Samuel then you will be forced to leave. Got it?" I snapped.

She nodded quickly, without another word as she scurried into the crowd. I stared at her retreating back with revulsion. Samuel sighed and shook his head, he then looked at me and smiled.

"Why don't we enjoy our night?" he whispered.

I smiled at him, "That would be nice."

For the rest of the night Samuel and I twirled around the dance floor, lost in each other's eyes. As the last song played before the food comes out he leaned in and kissed me. I kissed him back, my heart swelled with my love for him. When we parted I blushed at the numerous people staring at us with smiles on their faces. Samuel chuckled at my shyness and guided me back to our table.