Sunday Morning Blues

A/N: Hey guys it's me, Brid! The Raven and the Serpent is my first original story with an actual plot line! I really hope that you all enjoy this story!!! XOXOXO Brid

Lenore's POV

October 25,  2015
Dear Journal,
          My name is Lenore Annabelle Mata, but I go by Nore. I have long black hair, dark brown eyes, pale skin, and I'm on the chubby side. I'm in year 10 and attend Westminster Catholic High  in London, England. My mother wanted me to start writing in a journal for some reason. Maybe because she wants me to be more of  a normal teenager instead of an anime-obsessed girl with a love for emo bands. Mother says anime and emo bands are part of Satan's propaganda and I should attend more bible studies and listen to Christian music. I tried to be the perfect little girl they want, but I decided to be me because I failed too many times and gave up. Wait I have to go to church now
With love,
Lenore

I closed my journal and sighed. Why are mother and father so strict? I can't even call them mom and dad! For Go-gosh's sake! On cue, I heard my mother calling to me from the lower level of our flat.

"Lenore! We're leaving in 10 minutes! If you're not down here in 10 minutes, then you will bike to church!" shouted mother. Ginny, my mother was a midwife, a nurse who helps deliver babies, at Saint Joan's Hospital. She's a caring and kind-hearted lady, but is stubborn, quick-tempered, and strict at times. I glanced at my clock, which read '9:40'.

"I'll be down in a few minutes!" I shouted back. Then I began to choose my Sunday best. A long green dress, black leggings, some brown flats, along with my cross necklace that I never remove ever since I was little. While I changed, I kept glancing at my birthmark, a tan-imprinted pair of raven wings. I finished changing and grabbed my messenger bag, which had my IPhone, earbuds, and wallet. I then walked out of my small bedroom and walked downstairs. Mother and father were sitting on the sofa in the living room with my 9 year old brother, Colby, and my 7 month old sister, Beau, who was laying in her car seat carrier and chewing one of her tiny chubby hands.

"There you are, Lenore. Now we can go to church," bluntly stated father. David, my father was a lawyer to famous celebrities, like Adele, Fall Out Boy, Fifth Harmony, Selena Gomez, Panic! At the Disco, and etc.

     "I'm sorry I took so long," I answered shyly. Father grabbed Colby's hand and walked out of the flat, while mother grabbed Beau's carriage.

     "Bob buh bob!" giggled Beau, clapping her tiny chubby hands. I smiled at Beau. She's so cute and adorable!

     "Lenore, come on!" said mother, as she walked out of the door. I nodded and walked out. Time to go to church.....yayyyyyy.

        MINI TIMESKIP

     We pulled up to a small chapel with a beautiful exterior. That chapel is our church, Saint Veronica's. Father parked the car near the entrance and  we all got out of our red Ford Fusion. We entered the church and the choir was singing the beginning hymn. A priest who had gray hair, blue eyes, and on the overweight side was holding the Bible and singing, as he walked with two other helpers to the altar area. I immediately recognized the priest as Father Thomas and his helpers, Mandy and Emma. As my family and I walked towards a nearby pew, people started to back away from us. This always happens when we go to church. Fellow church members have always been afraid of the Mata family for some reason. I wonder why.

     "Please seat and turn to page 1067," grumbled Father Thomas with his famous wrinkly scowl plastered on his face. Everyone sat up, as Father Thomas recited a story from the Old Testament. Father Thomas was one of the priests that work here at Saint Veronica's and he was super mean, the embodiment of privilege, and too republican for my taste. He would always talk about the gays are going to hell, women are servants to men, other religions aren't correct, etc. If I had one wish, it would be to slap him and throw him into the pits of hell as justice to all the minorities he offended.

     "Blah, blah, the Gospel, blah, blah, the Scriptures, blah," he rambled on as I drifted into my thoughts. Oh and don't get me starting on Mandy and Emma. Mandy Schist and Emma Butz (No seriously that's their last names. Perfect for them!) are two members of the Queens of Westminster, the most popular group of girls that attend Westminster High. I know, cliché, right? But anywho, they're very mean, bitchy, and spoiled. I wish I could slap their pretty dainty makeup-covered faces to Pluto. They also make fun of me for having an old lady's name.

     "Lenore, stand up!" whispered-shouted my father. Apparently I was zoning out for a while because everyone was already in line to receive the body of Christ. I blushed and got in line. YAYYY....church...so much fun (Hint the sarcasm).

     TIMESKIP BROUGHT TO YOU BY FATHER THOMAS' HATE FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

     "You all may leave. May the love and power of the Lord bless you all," said Father Thomas as he walked through one of the nearby doors. I sighed as my family and I exited the chapel building. As we were leaving, I heard obnoxious snobby laughter coming from outside. It was Mandy and Emma laughing at something. I ignored it until I heard, "Old lady Lenore! Don't brake your back, you emo scum!"

     Warm salty tears bricked my eyes as I entered the car. Stupid Manny, stupid Emma, stupid Father Thomas...but I'm used to it. Just some Sunday morning blues.