Monsters

Lenore's POV

     Nurse Kendall took me to a coffee shop called Coffee Beans to discuss the beast that attacked me. She ordered a coffee and a donut while I ordered tea and a bagel. I asked, "What was that thing?" before taking a bite of my bagel.

     "That was a chimera, a corrupted omen bearer who committed a deadly sin against Omeo City," answered Nurse Kendall before taking a sip from her coffee. Silence fell upon us as I thought about the chimera. Why did it attack me? How did it commit a crime? Is there more monsters after omen bearers?

     "Chimeras are usually created when an omen bearer tries to transfer their mark to a human or brake a scared oath they make," said Nurse Kendall. Color from my face drained the moment she said that. Abi and I could turn into chimeras?!

     "Also the Council, depending on the chimera, uses them as weapons in war and to end rebellions," said Nurse Kendall. I nodded my head and asked, "Is there any other monsters in the omen bearer world?"

She nodded her head, causing her blonde curls to bounce, and answered, "Yes, they are way more monsters in the omen world. Some are chimeras, aqua daemonias, aer monstra, and canes militum."

"Water demons, air monsters, and hounds of the military?" I asked, remembering the Latin lessons mother used to teach me when I was little. Nurse Kendall smiled and said, "In Omeo City, the national languages are Latin, Hebrew, and English. That's why omen bearing family teach their children English, Hebrew, or Latin, so when you're old enough to enter the city, you'll be prepare in communication."

It clicked when Nurse Kendall said that. That's why mother and father taught me Latin at a very young age. Now I'm fluently in Latin, so I would be a bit prepared when I enter the city. That makes total sense.

     "I probably should take you home. I don't need Ginny and David freaking out that their daughter isn't home on time," said Nurse Kendall before standing up and throwing away her trash.

     "Wait...how do you know my mother and father?" I asked before doing the same. We then exit the coffee shop.

     "We've been friends since secondary school," she answered as she hollered for a cab. A few moments later, a cab comes by and we enter it. The cab driver is a lady with bright orange hair and blue eyes.

     "Where you all heading?" asked the lady with a Northerner accent.

      "Glenside Apartment Complex on Higgins Street," answered Nurse Kendall. The cab lady nodded and speeded to Glenside.

Timeskip

"That will be £10," said the cab lady. Nurse Kendall handed her a £10 bill and we exited the cab. I turned to Nurse Kendall and asked, "Are you going to explain?"

     "Yes," she answered before we entered the complex. Once we entered the lobby, we were greeted Ms. Sharma, whose mouth dropped to the floor when she saw Nurse Kendall.

     "Cara! Is that really you?!" shouted Ms. Sharma, causing some people in the lobby to stare at us. Nurse Kendall forced a smile and answered, "Nice to see you again, Prasanna."

     Ms. Sharma jumped onto Nurse Kendall, almost making her lose her balance. Nurse Kendall looked at me, begging for help, so I said, "Auntie Prasanna, Nurse Kendall helped me home because I got attacked by a dog and she needs to explain to my parents why I'm home late..."

     Ms. Sharma immediately let go of Nurse Kendall and rushed over to me. She looked over my entire body and kept asking if I was okay. I kept answering, yes, until some people began to complain that no one was at the lobby desk. Nurse Kendall and I looked at each other before sprinting to the elevator and heading the '27' button. After a few minutes of crap elevator music, we made it to the 27 floor and ran to the door, labeled 27A. The door flung open, revealing a worry-stuck mother of mine. I gulped when I recognized angry washed upon her face.

    "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?! YOU WEREN'T THERE WHEN I ARRIVED AT YOUR SCHOOL!" she screamed before dragging me into the flat by the ear, not noticing Nurse Kendall until she entered also the flat after me. Mother released her death grip on my ear once she recognize Nurse Kendall, who was awkwardly standing in the doorway and fiddling with her jacket.

     "Cara? What are you doing here? What happened?" asked mother and beckoned Nurse Kendall to sit down. She did and explained what happened. As Nurse Kendall continue to explain, mother's eyes got bigger and bigger.

     "A chimera? Strange..." mumbled mother to herself. Nurse Kendall stood up and said, "I must be going now. Goodbye Ginny. Goodbye Lenore," before leaving. Mother then turned to be and said, "You need to prepare more, or you're going to be screwed when it's time for the Skyland battle," before walking back to the kitchen to prepare tonight's dinner and leaving me stunned.