Chapter 15

Courtney's POV

I had the baby with me. It didn't look like a human baby but I still thought of her as a baby. I disguised her so I could take her into the city the next morning and....I came across something.....horrible. Everywhere I looked there was a dead body and blood in the streets.

Who did this? I thought.

I saw people cowering in fear. Who could've shaken them this bad? I felt unsafe myself even though I wasn't human anymore. I found a little girl hiding in an alley.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

"No," she replied crying.

"What's wrong?"

"Someone killed my mommy last night. Her body is in the dumpster."

I looked in and sure enough there was a dead woman in there. But she wasn't alone. Men, women, even children were in there. All dead. I took a good look at one of the bodies. It was a child. She had bite marks on her neck. I look at the necks of all the others. All had the bite marks. A vampire did this.

It had to have been one like me except....I was in control of myself. Other vampires like me aren't in control of themselves because we haven't lived our new lives long enough. I didn't know how I could keep myself in control but I was. It was the only thing keeping this poor little girl alive at the moment. No doubt she would die tonight if I didn't take her with me.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Gabby. Who are you?"

"I'm Courtney. Come with me."

She took my hand and let me lead her to safety. But there was one problem. She wasn't safe anywhere. I was still a vampire myself and if I got thirsty enough she was for sure near death. I had to find an alternative to stay in control.