IV. Mega Man

I rubbed my eyes as the morning sun filed into them. I was still a bit tired from the day before, but I felt much better. A few of my processors had to be fixed and I had to be scanned for viruses, but there was nothing major. There were times when Wily had inserted his viruses into my when I copied the robots, and I was almost reprogrammed to be his slave. I also nearly got torn apart by the Robot Masters.

I made my bed as I did every morning, then went out to get orders from Dad and let him fix me. Sometimes, he would send me to go check and see how Gut Man and the others on construction duty were doing. I loved to do that. We would test each others' powers and have a good time. At least, it was better than watching the monitor or... well, I loved to talk to my dad.

"Ah, Rock, you're awake!" Dad greeted me while working on my dog, Rush. He set down his stuff and stood up to come talk to me for a minute. His lab coat was wrinkled and stained with oil.

"How's the blue guy doing?" I asked.

He shook his head gravely. "I scanned him to see how much of his life force he had left. It's been depleted to the point where he's just barely alive. Dr. Wily's gone to far doing this... Taking someone from their planet just to steal their energy. That's ridiculous! It's mad!"

"Will he live?" I asked. That was all I was really concerned about. I wouldn't be able to handle it if he died, though I wasn't quite sure why. I wanted to know why he could run so fast and why he had tried to save me. It just seemed... so odd.

"It's too early to tell." My dad replied. "It could be months before he wakes up. Hopefully, we don't get asked too many questions about it. I don't know what I'd tell the media if they wondered why a random creature had appeared on our planet."

"You're going to try though, right? I mean, you're going to try and keep him alive and wake him up, right?"

My dad laughed and ruffled my hair. "Of course, son. Although... I fear what Dr. Wily is planning to do with the energy he stole."

I hugged him. He was like Santa Claus. He looked like him, and he was always making promises he wasn't sure he could keep.

"Give me your helmet." He said, holding out a hand as the gesture. I turned into Mega Man quickly for a moment, then took off my helmet. I handed it to him, seeing just how damaged it really was. Most of it was gone, really. I didn't want to think about what would have happened if it hadn't ever been made. "Great. Give me just a minute and I'll insert this and..."

For a few minutes, he continued to speak, fixing the dents in my helmet, working at it with such amazing speed. It was astounding, really, everything he could do, and I was proud to call him my father.

As he handed it back to me, I thanked him, putting it back on. It was snug on my head, like it always was, and it was working perfectly again. The lights on the top were lit up again, and the sides were no longer smashed in.

"Now, why don't you go and keep the Robot Master's company today?" He asked. There was a smile on his face, as if he knew I would be pleased.

"Really?!" I replied. Funny how that was what I wanted to do. I wondered for a second... could he read my mind?! No, that was outrageous. I almost laughed at loud at my hilarious, stupid thought.

"Of course!" He laughed. "Go on, see how they're faring. You deserve a break after what you went through yesterday. Go, have fun. Besides, we never know when Dr. Wily will be back, and it might be better if you were out in the open."

"But you could always teleport me in time..." I whispered to myself, but he didn't hear.

I rushed towards the door, not wanting to waste a precious second. I looked back at Dr. Light, and saw his face grim and sad as his eyes turned away from me. I knew at that moment the creature didn't have a chance.