XII. Sonic the Hedgehog

After searching for a few moments, we found that just jumping in would be the best way to get in. Well, and our only way. We all jumped in at once, the risk of hitting our heads on a rock or something always an option. Somehow, we were all safe, though I wasn't sure I was happy with it. Death by a severe concussion, or by downing...?

Once we had gotten in the water, I regretted letting Quake Woman persuade me that going into it had been the best option. The ice that had formed made it seem even colder than it was, and I was miserable. Just seeing stalactites of ice made me shiver. I was somewhere I didn't want to be, constantly sucking up air pockets, freezing to death.

A few times, Mega Man looked back at me. Him and Tempo were in front, while I trailed slightly behind with Rush. Whenever he looked at me, I looked at my chest, where the device had originated. It seemed to be growing, little wires travelling through my body. It hadn't progressed much at all, but it was still strange to watch it grow. It also gave me something to do, however, and distract myself from my suffering.

Tempo found it strange that I couldn't breathe underwater, as if she thought I was a robot. She asked me a few times why I couldn't swim, or, as she said it, 'why is it, Sonic, that you are unable to use this ability like other forms of your kind?' Mega Man reminded her a few times that I couldn't speak underwater, and, frankly, I was just annoyed. Yeah, I'm different, Tempo. Get over it.

What could Mega Man have possibly seen in her? There was some reason they were such close 'friends'. Nothing came to my mind, though, so I tossed it aside and continued to focus more on not getting eaten by giant robot fish or touching mines that were floating in the water.

I was sleepy and I had to hold my yawns back. I needed rest, really, though I didn't want to admit it. I didn't know if robots needed to rest, but I knew I did. And it wasn't like it was easy to keep my eyes open. The water stung them as if they were getting blown up.

The robot of the area could swim, and he had flippers to prove it. Once we saw him, the fight started almost immediately. The robot just swam around throwing... bubbles. I didn't know how they could possibly be dangerous. Until Mega Man got his on his shoulder. It melted away, leaving a crust of wires sticking out. No one said anything, and I felt helpless. I hit the Robot Master a few times, but I did no where near the damage Rock or Tempo did. I hated to have my pride blown like that.

Once he stopped moving, Rock sucked up his power, then we all continued forward in hopes of finding another area to explore. I just hoped it wouldn't include water. I never wanted to see the stuff again, especially with ice in it.

Stairs led up to a large block of ice that resembled the one on the other side. It, too, had a hole in the wall indicating where a door should have been. Once out of the water, I shook my head, letting the droplets that stuck to my quills fly onto the robots. "Thanks." Mega Man replied sarcastically.

"Hey, it's no prob." I chuckled. Thankfully, we hadn't froze, but I wasn't quite sure what kept me alive in the extreme temperature. Not even the water on my fur turned to ice when we had finally escaped.

"We need to rest." Mega Man said. I was so thankful he thought so as well.

"Yep." I agreed with a huge yawn.

But, of course, Ms. Killjoy said, "I do think you two need to rest, but we need to find a suitable place where we shall be comfortable. Here, the temperatures are too low. Perhaps the next area which we find will show a more survivable place."

I sighed. She was right, unfortunately. And Mega Man also seemed to agree. "Let's see what's in the next place, then." He said.

I whined and complained, but no matter what I said, they wouldn't listen.