XVI. Mega Man

"Good to know you were waiting for us so patiently." Elec Man said. He always seemed to be the leader of the group, whether it was of robots or tourists.

"I thought I defeated you!" I replied. "You were there with Flash Man!"

"Yeah, you did. Then Dr. Wily fixed me." He answered.

"Duh." Sonic replied, folding his arms. "We know that. But how'd you do it so quickly?"

"I didn't do it." Elec Man said. Sonic winced and wouldn't let his gaze meet the robot's. "But enough talk. You'd better be prepared."

Elec Man went straight for Sonic, and the rest came after me. In a few seconds, I was trapped flat on my back, splintering pain travelling through me. I was completely helpless.

"You don't want to do this!" I shouted, twisting to the side just before Gut Man tried to crush me. The rest began to pin me down, preparing to give me a fatal blow. "We're friends." I growled. "You've let Wily control you before. Twice now. There's no point in listening to him. Don't give him the satisfaction again."

I was completely ignored, and robots were still trying to kill me everywhere I turned. Sonic tried to help by attempting to take out a robot attacking me, but Elec Man almost always side-tracked him. In turn, I occasionally tried to take out Elec Man, but the Robot Masters took the shots for him. Sometimes that seemed to damage them enough for a few seconds, but it didn't matter. We were terribly outnumbered, and they wouldn't stop getting back up.

"Mega Man, watch out!" Sonic shouted, but I didn't understand until a blow came at me, and I ducked, just barely avoiding the fatal shot.

Cut Man smiled. "I felt like I had to CUT in."

"Nobody likes your puns!" I shouted to the dumb robot.

Sonic toppled onto Cut Man, Elec Man shocking the both of them. It was astonishing to see Elec Man sacrificing his friend just to weaken Sonic. He would have never done it if it weren't for Wily. Anger flowed through me, and I shot at Elec Man multiple times, but, still, Gut Man blocked my way, attempting to crush my head under its helmet.

Ice Man froze one of my feet onto the ground, so I was trapped. I attacked from where I was, trying to stop him from freezing the rest of me. I managed to take out Flame Man on complete accident with a charge shot. Eh, he was nothing major anyway. Then, when Gut Man was down, I threw a metal plate of Metal Man at him, disabling him for good until one of the doctors could fix him.

While I was doing that, however, Ice Man froze the rest of me, and my systems all shut down within the blink of an eye. I honestly hadn't expected that to happen.

When I came back online, I was unfrozen, and one of Cut Man's boomerangs fell onto the ground next to me. I fell to my knees, holding my arms. I wasn't completely invulnerable to cold, and being frozen didn't feel all that great. I could stop shivering and chattering my teeth.

Sonic had just finished off Elec Man, and fell onto his back. I ran up to help him, but he wasn't injured. He turned his head towards me, trying to catch his breath. "That was a long battle." He managed.

I laughed while he stayed on the ground panting. He had taken out more than half of the Robot Masters by himself. It was really impressive.

"Thanks for the help, Sonic." I said. I meant it, too. If it hadn't been for him... "Good thing you got me out of the ice so quickly."

Sonic's reply was a nod, and then he didn't say anything for a few minutes. "Is there even an exit in here? Like, a moveable wall? Or are we stuck?"

"No." I admitted dreadfully. "We're stuck. Even the way we had come through is blocked off now."

"I think we need to rest." Sonic suggested. "I feel like I'm gonna be sick."

I cursed. As I examined him now, only a few spots on his body weren't covered in the virus, and it was mostly the tips of his fingers and quills. The whites of his eyes and his pupils had remained, however, and I doubted they were going to be covered. He held his stomach as if he really was going to throw up. "Dad!" I shouted, hoping we could still communicate. "We need the cure! Now!"

Sonic seemed alarmed as I screamed that. He looked at himself, and he only looked more sick after that. "Great." He replied. I listened and waited for Dad, but there was no reply. I could only hope that he had heard me and was almost done with a cure.

For an hour, we sat in silence, watching and hoping Tempo or Rush would appear. But not even a sound passed through the cave. The virus wouldn't stop progressing, and I was really worried. Neither of us could have slept even if we had tried.

"I'm bored." Sonic commented.

"And I'm just having the time of my life." I said.

"No, but..." He slumped his back against a rock.

He was cut off by the sound of someone being teleported. Tempo seemed sad as she appeared, as if she had gotten some bad news. Silently, she walked over to Sonic and said, "Give me your arm."

Hesitantly, Sonic put his arm out, not knowing what to expect. His eyes grew to the size of dinner plates as he saw a big needle, nearly crawling away from her. But, he stayed where he was, glued by his terror. I'm not going to lie; if I had seen that, I would have been scared, too. I swear, it was like three inches thick!

"Ow!" Sonic shouted as the needle stuck into his arm. Slowly, Tempo slid the green liquid into his arm, minutes passing until the syringe was empty.

"There." Tempo announced. "It is done."

"That hurt."

"Was it the cure?" I asked hopefully.

Tempo opened her mouth to say something, then closed it and stopped. "No." She finally said, shaking her head as she spoke. Sonic's ears fell flat onto his head. "But it will keep you from dying from the virus. Now, though Wily may still take over you, you'll be safe from him, or us, killing you."

"That's a great relief!" Sonic said sarcastically. I would have been grateful. Slightly.

"How long does he have?" I asked Tempo. Her head lowered.

"If he is unlucky, an hour." She looked at Sonic sympathetically. "I'm sorry. But there's nothing else we can do for you now."

"Except kill me." Sonic muttered under his breath. "Or, wait, you're just attacking. No serious harm done."

"It could be so much worse!" I said, annoyed. "Why can't you see that? Would you seriously rather be dead?"

"Neither are great choices, dude." Sonic replied. He didn't look angry, but he didn't need to. "Leave me alone."

"I am going to be so glad when this is over!" I folded my arms and turned away from the brat. Seriously, it was like babysitting a five year old!

I decided not to say anything else after that. What I didn't understand, though, is how he was still sulking as if the world were about to end. I would have been thankful. Sonic was completely safe. Sure, he might get a few scratches, but... if anyone was going to die, it would be me or Tempo.